Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Remington LTR coming that's chambered in 6.8 SPC. I'm planning on using this on the smaller deer species in the UK, but, will have a double duty as a range gun. Anyone have a favourite load for this cal for a reference/jump off point? I have a liking for Hodgdon and Vhit powders and looking at 110 to 120gn bullets.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Bob,
I bought a 6.8 Rifle almost a year ago, although it is a Semi Auto I have had great success Loading the Hornady's .277 Cal / 110 Grain Bullets with Hodgon H322 Powder. I am getting .75 in. groups at 100 yds, bench resting of course. I am using 29 grs. of Powder.
If your Rifle is not a Gas Operated Mil Spec Semi Auto I'm sure you will use less of a charge. Checkout Hodgon's Handload Web Site.

Glenn

·
Registered
753 Posts
English Bob, lots of good handloading info over at "6.8forums", check it out if you haven't. Most of the data there is for AR's but there is data also for bolt actions. I plan on using this caliber for a feral hog hunt later this month, with my Marlin 35 Remington tagging along. The Hornady 120 grain SST has alot of load info present. Currently shooting the factory Federal Fusion 115 gr in my AR as to its good accuracy. I haven't started reloading this caliber yet (I have plenty of range and hunting ammo) but plan to over the winter.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I was an early convert to the 6.8mm story. I was fortunate to have stocked up on clearance priced bulk packs of 110 Grn SSA Sierra Pro Hunters (standard pressure) back in the day. Of course that was back when we had an actual U.S. citizen in the oval office. They have dispatched both hog and whitetail as well as any .270. I have never reloaded the round, but that particular bullet certainly works. Of course then I discovered large bore Marlins and thereafter hard cast and haven't looked back since.

Reactions: EnglishBob

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents, thanks for the heads up! Fancy there being a forum dedicated to a caliber.... Whodathunkit?

Glenn, music to my ears, bud! I've got a couple of pounds of H322 sitting in the cupboard after being replaced by Benchmark in my .223's!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And, I have some H4198 from my .45-70! Thanks again, Glenn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts