Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't looking for it but...it was priced right. Problem was, I didn't know anything about the 6.5 Grendel. So, I did some reading and determined the Grendel would fit perfectly between my AR 10 and my AR 15s in 5.56.

This rifle has an Alexander lower with what I believe to be a Bear Creek side charge upper sporting a heavy profile, fluted, stainless steel 20 inch barrel with flash hider. At least that's what it looks like to me. I'm not up to speed on the Stoner platforms. My focus has always been old Marlins, Winchesters, Remingtons and Savages. Nonetheless, I think this new toy will do nicely on whitetail, coyotes and hogs.

For anyone here that may be new to the 6.5 Grendel, here is a link to an informative article from Shooting Times on the subject. http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/articles/shooting-times-d-fortier-article.pdf - T.S.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
They are very accurate ---not sure how long your barrel is but I have one with 24in barrel (Saturn Barrel) and it shoots sub MOA. Mags are specific to 6.5 for the AR. If you want more punch 6.8 SPC is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
You're gonna like the 6.5 Grendel, It shoots like a laser beam. fast, flat and far. We ring steel confidently at 800yd. in my circle of friends.
They practically have zero recoil. If you don't want, or need it, there's no real reason for a brake on that caliber. its something like 4lbs of felt recoil.
Anyhow, sweet rig! enjoy.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You're gonna like the 6.5 Grendel, It shoots like a laser beam. fast, flat and far. We ring steel confidently at 800yd. in my circle of friends.
They practically have zero recoil. If you don't want, or need it, there's no real reason for a brake on that caliber. its something like 4lbs of felt recoil.
Anyhow, sweet rig! enjoy.
That's a muzzle brake? Well shows how much I know. I thought it was a flash hider. Either way, I'm thinking about removing it so I can attach my suppressor. :biggrin:

T.S.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are very accurate ---not sure how long your barrel is but I have one with 24in barrel (Saturn Barrel) and it shoots sub MOA. Mags are specific to 6.5 for the AR. If you want more punch 6.8 SPC is the way to go.
The barrel on mine is 20 inches. The energy produced by the 6.5 exceeds that of the 6.8 at muzzle and continues to widen the margin downrange. In velocity, the 6.5 overtakes the 6.8 after 100 yds. and continues to increase that advantage. Regarding trajectory, at 100 yds. the 6.8 drops nearly twice as much as the 6.5 and continues to nearly double the drop of the 6.5 downrange. The 6.5 delivers more punch and flatter trajectory than the 6.8. take a look at the chart in the article I linked in my first post.

T.S.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Well Ill be joining you here soon. Im about 12 weeks in on my wait for mine from Percision Firearms. 20" Bartlin, Billit Upper, Side Charger, Seekins Rail. Match Chamber, Match Bolt and BCG. They were saying 16 weeks at least. Elander Mags are loaded up so the springs take a set. Ill shoot it a bit and then maybe try some of PFs Match ammo they sell. This is gonna be a Coyote Rig to replace my 556.

Im very interested to see if the BCA barrel will shoot for you. It can be hit or miss with BCA.

Hayden.

·
Super Moderator
26,259 Posts
Congrats Russell, looks like your fixing to have some shooting fun with that 6.5 Grendel.

I'm nearly done researching my 6.5 Grendel build on my AP lower and so far:
https://www.grendelhunter.com/product/18″-fluted-6-5-grendel-titanium-cerakote/#configuration -- leaning heavily towards this upper. Grendel Hunter comes more complete than others, 18″ Fluted Stainless Barrel with Titanium Cerakote – Satern/Liberty and bolt is head spaced to barrel and they're extremely accurate. Built on an AP upper matching my AP lower, and with options came to $628.95

Figure roughly $300 to build out the lower with MPC Velocity trigger.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Grendel Hunter upper rated in top 5 uppers by Pew Pew Tactical: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-6-5-grendel-uppers/

I will not build this featureless, full tactical and go with a Juggernaut system that can be removed when we depart commie CA.

Looking forward to your range report and hopefully reporting some down range accuracy.

Jack

[/FONT]

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
I considered the Grendel but after reading/watching some online firearms articles and vids made by real world proficient hunters (not gunrag writers)--I decided the Grendel wasn't for me. Quite a few hunters have lost game due to the 123 gr bullets currently out on the market and the 6.5 Grendel case powder capacity. I decided to go the 6.5 Creedmoor/AR-10 route instead for my hunting pursuits. Now for taking down 2 legged bad guys---that Grendel should work very well!

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a Remington R25 (AR 10) in 308 - bought it before Obunghole took office. I've killed a fair number of deer and hogs with it. It is crazy accurate but heavy. I think some of the AR 10s being built these days are quite a bit lighter. I have two Steyr bolt action rifles in 6.5 X 308 (AKA 260 Remington). They are comparable to the Creedmoor and absolute laser accurate and flat shooting delivering hard hits. I can take quartering shots successfully with the 260 Rems. With the Grendel, I had best stick with broadside shots and head/neck shots. Time will tell. In March I plan to start hunting hogs in earnest. That should be a good test for the Grendel.

T.S.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
I've got a Remington R25 (AR 10) in 308 - bought it before Obunghole took office. I've killed a fair number of deer and hogs with it. It is crazy accurate but heavy. I think some of the AR 10s being built these days are quite a bit lighter. I have two Steyr bolt action rifles in 6.5 X 308 (AKA 260 Remington). They are comparable to the Creedmoor and absolute laser accurate and flat shooting delivering hard hits. I can take quartering shots successfully with the 260 Rems. With the Grendel, I had best stick with broadside shots and head/neck shots. Time will tell. In March I plan to start hunting hogs in earnest. That should be a good test for the Grendel.

T.S.
That 260 Rem is no joke! That round should have taken off in the marketplace--I guess it was ahead of its time when initially introduced some 20+ years ago. Everyone wanted a 308 Win back then and didn't give it a chance. My DPMS LR-308 is heavy as well but its a tack driver and will give my bolt gun 308s a run for their money. I did lighten it up a bit with a DPMS free floated composite forearm.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well Ill be joining you here soon. Im about 12 weeks in on my wait for mine from Percision Firearms. 20" Bartlin, Billit Upper, Side Charger, Seekins Rail. Match Chamber, Match Bolt and BCG. They were saying 16 weeks at least. Elander Mags are loaded up so the springs take a set. Ill shoot it a bit and then maybe try some of PFs Match ammo they sell. This is gonna be a Coyote Rig to replace my 556.

Im very interested to see if the BCA barrel will shoot for you. It can be hit or miss with BCA.
Hayden.
QFT. I had to drill out the gas port on a 450 Bushmaster from them. The rifle wouldn't cycle far enough to strip the next round from the magazine or lock the bolt back after the last round. Once I corrected the gas port it has functioned 100% and is very accurate.

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That 260 Rem is no joke! That round should have taken off in the marketplace--I guess it was ahead of its time when initially introduced some 20+ years ago. Everyone wanted a 308 Win back then and didn't give it a chance. My DPMS LR-308 is heavy as well but its a tack driver and will give my bolt gun 308s a run for their money. I did lighten it up a bit with a DPMS free floated composite forearm.
Boddington was one of the first gun writers to review the 260 Rem. He did so in the context of his daughter using it on an African plains game hunt. Boddington's assessment was lackluster/lukewarm. About a year ago, Craig wrote an article comparing the 6.5s including the Creedmoor, 260 Rem and 264 WinMag (one of his favorites). In that article, Boddington acknowledges that he wrongly gave the 260 Rem. the short shrift in the past.

T.S.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The velocity and energy advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Remington over the 6.5 Grendel are significant. But, come on, the AR10 platform is larger and much heavier than the AR15 platform. AR10s weigh on the order of 10 pounds (+/-). AR15s weigh on the order of 7 pounds (+/-). It's a matter of apples and oranges.

I shoot .300 H&H in a couple of rifles and they are far from being featherweights. But, I must accept those rifles for what they are, rifles designed to shoot the long, heavy recoiling magnum cartridge. You can't get a short light rifle in 300 H&H. That's not true for the .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and related cartridges. There are plenty of short light rifles available in those calibers -- none of them are ARs.

When I carry, handle, and shoot an AR I want something light and handy. To me those are some of the best qualities of ARs. I owned a couple of AR10s and sold them off because they were too heavy for my liking. I am not a fan of AR10 rifles. I prefer the AR15 platform.

That brings us to the 6.5 Grendel. It is a great cartridge for the AR15 platform, one of the best. I admit to being a (gasp!) 6.8 SPC shooter. For me the choice between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC was a difficult one. But I was able to see the main differences between the two cartridges. The 6.8 SPC has the ballistic advantage in a short barreled rifle and when shooting within 200 yards. The 6.5 Grendel has the ballistic advantage beyond 200 yards, especially when given a 20" or longer barrel. I carry and shoot in the woods, often in thick, dark woods. I typically shoot deer within 100 yards. So for me a shorter, lighter rifle hitting harder at close range is the obvious choice, i.e. 6.8 SPC. If I frequented and hunted in more open terrain, Texas for example like the OP, then I would have chosen the 6.5 Grendel.

Congrats on your new rifle, Texas Shooter. I see hogs are on your list. Be sure to post some pictures when you get some.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
The velocity and energy advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Remington over the 6.5 Grendel are significant. But, come on, the AR10 platform is larger and much heavier than the AR15 platform. AR10s weigh on the order of 10 pounds (+/-). AR15s weigh on the order of 7 pounds (+/-). It's a matter of apples and oranges.
We will have to agree to disagree. Compared to what I was packing as a M-60 gunner back in my Army days--I can definitely handle an AR-10.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have rifles chambered in 458 WinMag and 458 Lott. They both weigh over 11 lbs and I am glad they do, to mitigate recoil. It is a matter of cartridge selected. I would not choose to carry an eleven pound rifle chambered in a relatively low recoil round.

T.S.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
We will have to agree to disagree. Compared to what I was packing as a M-60 gunner back in my Army days--I can definitely handle an AR-10.
I've "packed" an M60 too (even carried a 1919A6 for a couple of months) but it had a belt of ammo and would fire more rounds in a minute than any AR10 can digest without turning bright red. That's just another apples to oranges comparison. Surely, you don't suggest we carry a semi-auto version of the M60 around as our hunting rifle. If you do, then more power to you and good luck.

Sometimes a long, heavy barreled, heavy rifle is a good choice. I have that in .264 Win Mag, .411 caliber, and also in this .300 H&H rifle:

300HH-right-side_zpsog18d4sx.jpg

But carrying that around all day in the woods, up and down hills, for a 200 yards shot at deer size game is counter-intuitive if I have an alternative like an accurate AR15 in 6.5 or 6.8 caliber.

As to an AR10, if I'm going to carry something that heavy, and I don't need to shoot magazines full of ammo, then it might as well be something like the rifle above - more power, more accuracy, and about the same weight. Or, for 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd prefer a nice 7-8 pound bolt rifle. But those are my choices. If someone wants to carry the same in a heavy AR10 then that's their choice.

Or. perhaps we should pooh-pooh the AR10 entirely and say that at about the same weight we should stick with a Noreen Bad news in .30-06 or 7mm Mag:

BTB_BN36__97097.1548873150.jpg

My whole point was that advantages and disadvantages of the AR10 and AR15, and the cartridges they shoot, are very different and simply saying someone is better off with an AR10 in .6.5 Creedmoor than they are with an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel misses it entirely, especially after they used similarities and differences between AR10s and AR15s to decide.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
My whole point was that advantages and disadvantages of the AR10 and AR15, and the cartridges they shoot, are very different and simply saying someone is better off with an AR10 in .6.5 Creedmoor than they are with an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel misses it entirely, especially after they used similarities and differences between AR10s and AR15s to decide.
I don't think I missed anything if you read my original posting. But again--we will have to agree to disagree on the whole matter. That is fine with me..............

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow!!!!! I've never heard of the Noreen!!!! Man, that thing is Bad News!!! For just a little over six grand, I could be the only kid on the block.:rock:

Probably pay for itself charging guys at the range ten bucks to shoot it. :hmmmm2:

Thanks Grenadier!

T.S.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts