Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our last match of the season saw me shoot a 590 out of 600 possible. Real close to bottom of the heap in the "high master" classification. Still, it was a lot of fun! One day earlier I'd only managed a 575 on the same course of fire. A good night's sleep was about the only thing different on Sunday. Saturday found me pretty well wiped out from a long, rough, physically and mentally challenging week. It showed in my score.

I need to really watch the wind and mirage better. Several times the wind caught me on "drop off" and I would plant one out in the 9-ring instead of in the 10 ring where it belongs. The rifle and ammo are shooting fine, it's the shooter who is a little off-base these days. Nontheless, I plan to contiune and maybe even ratchet up my match shooting for 2005!

Regards, Guy

here's my rifle, a Model 70 Winchester in a custom stock w/Swenson sights, Medesha trigger and a Krieger barrel. It shoots pretty good. The flyer was totally my fault, as is the vertical stringing. Semper Fi! Guy

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Great shooting, Guy!

Interesting rear sight. Is the aperture adjustable? Looks like a scale around it. What is the purpose of the blue tape on the stock? Glare/reflection reduction? Just curious about these things...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear sight is aperture adjustable. It is a Swenson, an older version of the target sights sold now. Opens up to allow more light, closes down to shut it down a bit.

Front sight uses interchangeable apertures. I like to use a pretty large circle, for plenty of light around the bullseye.

Blue tape is only on there to protect the wood. The ejector is set up to just nudge the cartridge out, so they don't go flying all over the place, but end up in a small pile next to me during rapid - fire strings.

A thousand or two thousand rounds a year and the doggone wood starts getting beat up by the cartridge cases on ejection. Nice stock, so the tape is on there to protect it. Looks pretty odd, but it works.

Regards, Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts