Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i am planning to load up some 550 grain cast JB craters with H322, but for now would like to experiment with couple of powders i have on hand.........ie" imr 4198 and imr 3031.......can anyone direct me to a source that talks about these powders using some 550 grainer cast( or there abouts) or some personel starting/max loads?....the only cast book i have on hand--dealing with a marlin 45-70g is the Lyman's third edition--a 420 grainer being the heaviest!!...thanks larry

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Riverhunter-When I got my 550 craters way last year He sent some data with it that says 45/70 Goverment 1886 Winchester and this data with your two powders.

552 Grain Cast w/gas check
imr 4198 starting load 26 grains=1162 fps
imr 4198 Max load 32 grains=1386 fps

imr 3031 starting load 34 grains=1273 fps
imr 3031 Max load 39 grains=1442 fps

These are in a 26 inch Winchester 1886.

Hope that helps......Jayco.These are a carbon copy from a loading sheet from some manual and sent to me by JB Young...Not my loads

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jayco, and yes i think i received those sheets myself!!.......but if you had a look at my office/computer room you would understand why i think i don't have them( or the baby got thrown out with the bath water!! :shock:) ps: do you happen to know the BallisCoef for the 420/550 crater's, plus the OAL( 2.520?) for those two powders?......i emailed JB a couple days ago for the info but no response yet....thanks again larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
5550 Crater Loads

I got a 10 rd sample from J-B and loaded them under 35 grains of RL-7, as it was all I had for powder at the time.

I shot them last Thursday and they were a hoot! I too am going to be using the H-322 as well, and just ordered 2 boxes of the 550's to go along with the 2 boxes of 420's I bought this winter, for moose this fall.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Rick

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
riverhunter said:
thanks jayco, and yes i think i received those sheets myself!!.......but if you had a look at my office/computer room you would understand why i think i don't have them( or the baby got thrown out with the bath water!! :shock:) ps: do you happen to know the BallisCoef for the 420/550 crater's, plus the OAL( 2.520?) for those two powders?......i emailed JB a couple days ago for the info but no response yet....thanks again larry
Larry-I don't put much stock in all that stuff so I don't know,But I do know that if you e-mailed JB he will get back to you.Busy man these days but a good one and that's what counts.

Ranger Rick-If you remember Marlin Talk of the old days I was dead against Hard Cast bullets.Many an arguement.Now,I am for them and there purpose.Don't get me wrong I still like my Noslers and Kodiaks but there is a place for the Hard Cast in .458 and a levergun and it makes a good all around bullet and load thanks to people like Randy Garrett and JB Young and there attitudes towards normal Hunters like us.

I am impressed with both......Jayco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.