Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
H&R is cataloging the Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W.

Richardson's Gallery of Guns has it listed.

Has anyone seen one yet?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hope they chamber for the new 460 S&W. A handi rifle that could then shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casull and .460 S&W. What versatility!

NEW 460 S&W MAGNUM

This is S & Ws new cartridge for the 500 frame revolver. Ammo is by COR BON. Think of it as a 454 Casull magnumized. The first factory ammo will use a 200 grain Barnes X bullet at 2300 and some change FPS from the 10" barreled revolver. The same ammo does 2650 FPS from a 14" SSK Encore. Recoil is very mild for such a powerful cartridge. 454 and 45 Colt ammo can be used in the same chamber.

I got over 2100 FPS with a 300 grain jacketed bullet first try in the Encore. I think there is another 1--200 FPS there with the 300 grain bullet. Barrels are now available from SSK.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It sure would be nice to have the 460 in a handi but I wouldn't get my hope up. The 460 operates at a much higher pressure than the 500 or the 454 therefore I doubt if they will even consider it. Too bad. :x :roll: 8)

G

·
Had one in my hands friday at my local gun dealers , wanted $225 . Already have an 1894CB in 32 mag laid away , so I told him to add this to the bill . Just so happens I already had dies and brass , so what the heck :!:

G

·
I have gotten 4 different jacketed bullets for the 500. also Lyman has started making a mold for it , and lo and behold I've got my hands on one of those also :D :!: Now watch the darn thing probably won't shoot very well with any of the jacketed bullets or the cast ones . :?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My local dealer had two NIB last week. I've been pondering one for a while now. It would make for a nice carbine, cut down to 16.25" and recrowned. Original loads are meant for a pistol length barrel, but it should pick up a few FPS from a 16.25" barrel. Make for a great brush gun.
Don

G

·
Picked up my 500 Handi-Rifle yesterday. Should have it shooting some time this weekend. Might even have time to cast a few bullets and try them also :D :!:

·
Registered
335 Posts
6pt-sika,
You have me jealous. I had finally made up my mind to get the Handy in .500, and now I'm having problems getting my hands on one. My dealer sold them out in a few days from the time I had originally seen them and now he can't find me another.
When and if I find one, I plan to use handloads only. The price of these cartridges is outrageous. With reloading info based on the revolver, I'm figuring possibly getting an extra 400 FPS. Once you figure the extra barrel inches and the pressure loss between the barrel and cylinder of the revolver, the rifle should bring this cartridge into 45/70 territory or possibly more. It should make for one great brush gun!
Don

G

·
Took my Handi Rifle out and shot it the other week. Loaded 12 rounds ,3 Sierra 350's , 3 Sierra 400's , 3 Hornady 350's and 3 Hornady 500's. I had put a old Simmons scope on top and only shot at 50 yards. They all shot well enough for deer :) All my loads were a grain or so under max, and all functioned well ...... Now for the bad news , after I wafinished shooting I took the gun in and cleaned it and set it in the corner. Couple days later I was playing with it and couldn't get the hammer to cock :shock: After a few minutes of this the transfer bar FELL OUT :evil: So now the action of my less then preciouse rifle is back with H&R :? Not a good way to impress me :!: Bought the 1894 Cowboy in 32 H&R MAG the same day and have not had any such problems with it or the 20 or 30 Marlin's I own :!:

G

·
Just got the action for my 500 back from the factory, think I may send it back and get a 450 Marlin barrel fitted. They sent me a brochure that said they could do the job shipped back for about $100 dollars :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
TC Encore with a Bullberry 20" SW460mag rifle barrel can be used for 454 casull & 45 long colt, I also have a 24" rifle barrel in 243 and 2 15" pistol barrels in 454 casull(muzzle tamer doesn't work) and 30-06 (www.probed2000.com muzzle brake does work) and 3 encore receivers. The Encore receiver registered as a pistol can be converted to a rifle , handgun ,shotgun or muzzle loader with many more caliber variations than the Handi Rifle and the conversion is a simple process of changing stocks & forends,grips and a barrel pin to switch calibers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
500 Handi Rifle

I was excited to shoot my new scoped 500. After a few shots, just after getting near POA at 100 yards, the action began opening at each shot. Acutally must be just after the shot cause no blowback. Didn't really get to test accuracy with the Hornady 300 gr SSTs. They should roll out at about 2250.
Sent the gun off after a talk with a surly CS person at H&R. My four calls back to H&R have been disappointing. Short, rude, and will make no effort. Last wednesday I was told it was done and in shipping. Yesterday (Monday) I called again and she said it's still in shipping, should go out in a few days. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Hopefully I'll get it back before hunting season of 09 and will have something to post.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Range testing 500 and customer service

I bought a 500 and loved the way it felt and fit me. Put a very good scope on it, bought two different Hornady loads (VERY expensive) and trudged off to the range. Very disapointed.
Action opened after every shot. I would say during the shot except the case didn't blow through my skull and there was no power residue around the breech.
Accuracy was disappointing. Best load was Hornady 350 XTP Mag, at about 2100 fps estimated. It would stay inside about three inches. The other load, which I wanted to be my hunting load was the Hornady 300 SST with the pointy nose at about 2250. I can't tell you the group size because the paper wasn't big enough, but I can say it was more than 8 inches (all at 100 yards).
I sent it back of course and it took a while to get back. The lady I always get at customer service was very short with me and I never felt that my call was welcome. Even after it was fixed, they kept telling me it was in shipping and would be out in a few more days.
Gun came back, note said latch spring replaced. I remounted scope, and off to the range with the same two loads.
Accuracy same as before, which surprised me since the action had been coming open. 300s wouldn't stay on the paper, and 350s ran about 3 MOA, not good enough.
AFter about 5 rounds, the action started opening on firing again.
BTW, recoil is greater than heavy 12 gauge slug loads, heavier than the 300 RUM and the 338. I don't understand it except for the short light thing. Those interested, keep in mind that the recoil may be more than you want to deal with. I like to shoot a lot and would not do it with these loads. Loading it down defeats my purpose of a 200 yard plus deer rifle in a pistol caliber (Mandated in my state).
I dread going back to H&R customer service, and having to deal with that again. Guess there's no choice.
Sorry to be so lenghty with this, but thought you'd want the details.
I'm eager to hear your take on it, whoever has experience with it. Heck, even opinions are fun to read.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I get acceptable accuracy with my .500 Handi with handloaded 350gr XTP, 440gr Cast Performance and 700gr Ranger Rick, 1½"-2" 100yd groups, not stellar, but good enough for what it's intended for. :wink:

Check out the FAQs and Help sticky and the Handi Basics 101 in the NEF/H&R Centerfire forum at GBO, lots of info there to help. I'm sure a post there will result in some help with factory ammo, lots of fellas use the 500 in Mississippi for their "primitive" weapons season.

Tim

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks quickdtoo

What was your recipe for those accurate loads. 1.5 to 2" is accpetable to me to. Do you know the velocities? Have you tried lighter bullets?
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I use Hodgdon data for Lil'gun for all of em, max loads for the 350gr XTP gives me right at 2150fps which is about 100fps faster than the Hornady ammo as John Taffin reported in his 500 Handi article in the Jan 2007 issue of Gunsmagazine.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_1_53/ai_n16866654/pg_4

I would recommend the Hornady Leverevolution, seems to me that's one factory ammo that the MS boys are using, Taffin lists velocity at 2248fps for the 300gr bullet. At the cost of factory ammo, I'd certainly consider getting into handloading, then you can use other bullets that aren't available in factory ammo, like the Remington 385gr CLHP and load it long for a bit better accuracy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=971411&t=11082005

Tim

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23173

·
Registered
40 Posts
Useful info

I'm guessing the leverevolution is the bullet in Hornady's 300 grain 500 load called the SST. VERY poor accuracy in this rifle, in the Hornady load. Too bad, cause that was my 250 yard deer rifle choice.
I'll be sending my rifle back AGAIN and this time I think I'll try to get another barrel, or at least have them to find me an accuracy load. They sent me a short range target with three holes about 2inches apart and said it was CorBon 300. I can't find any such load.

Thanks again. I'd rather have this gun in 410 GNR, but they don't make a 41 cal barrel to tinker with.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll be surprised if many shooters keep their 500 handi rifles, because of the recoil. I'm pretty much used to recoil (today I sighted in two 12 ga slug guns with heavy loads), and I shoot high power rifles without problem, but this stubby cartridge has me sore after a shooting session. If it would shoot inside 2 moa with a flat shooting high energy load, I'll be satisfied, but so far I think this rifle is a loser. I'd enjoy shooting cast bullets in it, but for hunting I think fast jacketed bullets of hightest availbable BC is the ticket.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts