Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a box of deerfield enterprises 500 gr rnfp gas check linotype bullets in a trade a month ago, and am not finding much reloading info on them. pretty much just going to be shooting milk jugs at 50 yards or less with them. dont want to dislocate a shoulder, but might want a mid range load, but may want a little hotter for hogs down the road. powders available are...unique, bullseye, imr 3031, 4198, h332, h110, h335, winchester 540, universal clays, varget. any ideas?

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I would think that any good reloading manual will have some loads for a 500 grain slug in 45-70. The thing that I think you should be concerned about is not making the over all cartridge length too long to function in the Marlin action. Your shoulder will tell you when the loads are too heavy.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I dont know anything about those but I shoot a 535gr boolit with 38 to 40 gr of either H322 or IMR-3031 or 24gr of 2400 (I have to back off on my 42gr of H322 when we found out it was over pressure)
It would depend on how far the boolit seats into the case, have you made up a dummy round to make sure that it chambers in your rifle?

Doc

·
Registered
289 Posts

The Lyman Cast Bullet manual advises against using 500 gr. and larger bullets in lever guns because they must be set too deep into the case in order to cycle thru the action. Several manuals have 500 and larger bullet loading data.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I used unique a lot with the 500s in my marlin and 3031. I never got great results though.
I have 20 500Gr loads loaded up for when im in bear country but don't load them on a regular basis. Some people have had great results though.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have used 40gr RL7 with a .458 dia 500gr lee GC bullet seated a little deeper due to the nose length - I stared way lower and slowly worked up to this load - it is very accurate out to 100 yards

I've tried alot of the 500gr bullets both jacketed and hardcast and found that most are not specifically designed for the lever action so you have to play around with the seating depth and crimp which is a pain and dangerous.

It can be done however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.