Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching the various single shot rifles being offered in 50 BMG. So far it looks like the Serbu is at the top of my list. I have not had a 50 before, so does anyone have any experience with these or could offer some info on them. Also any info on reloading for them would be appreciated. Thanks, Jamie.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I saw a tv show with a barrett 50...they called it 600+ grains of diplomacy.
awesome!!
no experience but would like to...mike

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is shooting 600 grain and over. I know they are expensive to shoot, but they will do things at ranges others just cannot. I have seen where California has made them illegal and now Illinois is trying to follow suit, another good reason to get one. The guns themselves are not that expensive , but the optics to take advantage of the range they operate at is about as much or more than the gun itself. I will keep doing some research, but I would like to get one soon. There are not many used ones showing up on the auction sites though, just a few.

·
Registered
603 Posts
good luck on your search, the only ones I've handled have been crew-served.

That Serbu you mentioned doesn't look half bad, might be kinda stout with no recoil system to help soak up all that energy.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Ditto on crew served version - M2... Would love to shoot/own a Barrett, but ain't happenin'!

Other issue is - don't forget you have to have a place that will let you shoot it. Not sure your local, but that could be an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Muleman I don't own a 50 either but I do know that the Serbu's are very accurate. I understand that the owner of the company randomly selected one of the 50's that he builds, entered and placed in a world class competition with the gun. I agree that the major expense you will come up against is optics and ammo. I advise you to research your optics choice carefully to avoid replacing them too often. Here is a link where you can start gathering information the help you on your way. Good luck and keep me posted on how this goes for you, I'm considering the same route myself.

http://www.fcsa.org/wwwroot/visitors/about.php

Jesse

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just missed a buy on one today on GB. It was a new seller with only 1 feedback, so I was being careful and was waiting for an answer to a question before I bid. I was too late, he answered my question and someone had already hit the "buy now" button by the time I checked back, and it was gone. I don't NEED one, I just want one, so I guess there is no real hurry, I will keep looking??

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Muleman,
I would love to have a 50BMG!!
I have checked them out and got hooked on the Armalite AR50.
But the $$ for attachments ,(scope ,bipod , scope mount )
And then the ammo! ::)
I have come to the conclusion that maybe I should try one out just once .
Or see if I could rent one ..
That gun would get ya a few levers or a AR or two with all the bells and whistles.. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
11,969 Posts
Although I don't own one, I have a bit of experience behind a few different .50 rifles. As well as the good old M2 machinegun of course. My favorite was the McMillan, but it's a spendy proposition.

Fearsome cartridge.

The rifles really aren't bad to fire. The muzzle brakes are incredibly effective and take away most of the recoil. What is bad, is being to either side of the muzzle brake... That's like being blasted!

A local guy here in central Washington took an AR-50, removed the barrel, re-cut the chamber and handloaded for it. He's made some 4" and 5" groups at 1,000 yards with it and has done real well in competition.

At one point I seriously considered buying one. Another friend had one, and was selling it. But he was selling it for the same reasons I've never purchased one - it's just not practial enough for me. Still, if a guy just wanted a big, expensive toy... Why not? Even with all the expensive accessories, it's a lot less than say a race car...

An excellent alternative - if expensive - is the .408 Chey Tac/Windrunner. Good grief, what a rifle! $7000+ though I believe. Have a little trigger time with that one as well. Dang. Seriously impressive!

FWIW, Guy

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
My local gun store had one a few weeks ago a Barrett had a $3000 price tag way out of my price range but I sure would love to pull the trigger on one I imagine it would be about as much fun as a person could have with their clothes on!!!!:biggrin: They also have a Remington 700 in 338 Lapua but they want $1900 for that one I can't afford that one either!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Last summer i had a chance to shoot a barret m99 (bolt action single shot) topped with a nightforce scope (not sure of the model) and to say the least it was awesome even though it was only at 500yds. we were shooting his own handloads with hornady's a max bullets i dont know anything else about the load but i was able to the 10" steel plate with ease. The best group i shot was right at 4 3/4 in which i thought was good but i sure thats not close to what a more experienced shooter could do. So if i was gona get a .50 that the route i would go

·
Registered
401 Posts
A friend had a Serbu, nice rifle,30" brl. recoil was managable, about the same as a 3" 12 ga load.
My 24" BOHICA is kinda like a 3-1/2" 12 ga Turkey load in my 835..............

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Perceived recoil in .50BMG rifles is dependent on: stock fit to the shooter, weight of the gun, and the efficiency of the brake. The brake is the easiest and cheapest ($200+/ - to experiment with, but has tradeoffs of sideblast/noise/bulk). I try to have sufficient 'blaster' ammo with me when I take my Windrunner to the range to let anyone shoot it. Shooting a fifty is literally a BLAST, as long as you follow good safety rules (scope eye relief is rather important, along with eye/ear protection). I swear I have gotten as much enjoyment out of having newbies shoot my fifty as I have shooting it myself.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Perceived recoil in .50BMG rifles is dependent on: stock fit to the shooter, weight of the gun, and the efficiency of the brake. The brake is the easiest and cheapest ($200+/ - to experiment with, but has tradeoffs of sideblast/noise/bulk). I try to have sufficient 'blaster' ammo with me when I take my Windrunner to the range to let anyone shoot it. Shooting a fifty is literally a BLAST, as long as you follow good safety rules (scope eye relief is rather important, along with eye/ear protection). I swear I have gotten as much enjoyment out of having newbies shoot my fifty as I have shooting it myself.
The .50 grin..................

·
Registered
515 Posts
i shot a barrett yesterday. OH my. Thats a fun gun. The recoil is lesss then my 06. I get all tinglely thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have been researching the various single shot rifles being offered in 50 BMG. So far it looks like the Serbu is at the top of my list. I have not had a 50 before, so does anyone have any experience with these or could offer some info on them. Also any info on reloading for them would be appreciated. Thanks, Jamie.
This seems to be the only caliber that powder and bullets are readily avialable for...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts