Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this qualifies as a hyphenated round...

My buddy just scored a Win 1886 in 50-100-450 for his collection and is looking for one or more rounds of ammo or just an empty case with the proper headstamp.

Anyone have one or more that you would be willing to part with from your collection...for a price, of course, :biggrin:

OR, any idea where I should look for one?

Thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Buffalo Arms deals in components for the more obscure and old cartridges. They may have some but it would likely be in a quantity package.

Reactions: Bogtrotter

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BFPGW--thanks for the tip. I just checked them out and they don't have any.

Still looking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Wind. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Just a variation on the 50-110. Not sure that the headstamp would differ, nor would one be able to identify the bullet weight of a loaded
cartridge. Now a box of the 50-100-450's - that would be the thing to find!

Bogtrotter, how's your pal's gun marked as to caliber?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bogtrotter...Check Starlinebrass.com for new brass. Look under the Black powder/Long range heading and scroll to near the bottom.
Listed as 50-110, suitable for the 50-100 and others.
Good luck !

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
What a nice Hyphenated number and congratulations to your buddy for his score. The cartrige will be marked 50-100 and the 450 is the maximum weight of the boolit. Of which, I'm sure you are well aware!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
biku--Thanks, I checked them out. They have the 50-110 but are out of stock.

Reactions: biku324

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike--it's marked 50-100-450. It also has some unique mark under the bbl as to twist rate but I forget exactly what he said.

Reactions: Mike Leck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
20raffs--I checked Starline. They have the 50-110 which I know is suitable but he insists on not shooting it since it is in like-new condition. I guess it's too valuable as a collector item.

Now if that old gal were mine, I'd have the dies, brass, and bullets already on the way! *L*

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bogtrotter... I agree with you on that "If it were mine".
Had my 50-70 Rem Rolling Block (1871 original Infantry rifle) on the range last week. Had 50 rounds loaded...I got to shoot about ten...
everybody else wanted to shoot that old girl. Nearly everybody rang the 200 yd dinger using the old military sights.
What a kick in the pants that was.

Reactions: Bogtrotter

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Mike--it's marked 50-100-450. It also has some unique mark under the bbl as to twist rate but I forget exactly what he said.
Thanks for the info. According to Cartridges of the World, the 50-110 was introduced in 1887 with the 300 grain bullet. The 50-100-450 appeared in August 1895. I'd bet it was in response to a demand for a bullet with better penetration. Must be quite a rifle your friend has.

Faugh a Bellagh!

The Leck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LA--I'll see him and his new 'investment' in a couple of weeks. I'll try to sneak a picture when he isn't looking! *L*

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got what I needed, thanks to 30WCF!

Is this a great forum, OR WHAT? :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts