Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for pizza yesterday, when we came out, this gem was in the parking lot!

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Wow, that's a well maintained time machine right there!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Went out for pizza yesterday, when we came out, this gem was in the parking lot!
View attachment 821023 View attachment 821024 View attachment 821025 View attachment 821026
Where did you get the "58" from? The car is a 49 through 51. We had a 51 Merc when I was a kid. In those days the Mercury was a bigger car than the Ford and had a longer wheelbase etc. When they started making it the same as a Fords, that was the beginning of the end for Mercury. I have a 96 Merc. and it is basically a Crown Victoria Ford with lots of options.One nice thing the car has double sun visors so you can have one in front of you and at the side at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
15,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jwag Travlin ..see the question mark up at the title, Thanks for years, I'll see if I can figure out how to edit the title.

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
I remember my Dad buying a new 56 olds, it looked like a sports car back then. Uncle had a new 56 Plymouth, black and yellow two tone. He called it the Hornet, my dad called him Rear View. You hear stories about old cars found in barns. I know were there is a 55 Mercury setting down on the wheels in a dirt floor garage. It belonged to a guy, a WW2 Vet who had just bought it a few months before he was killed in an industrial accident at work. His widow would never sell it, it’s sat there since 1955 and she’s still kicking, even has a garden. When there were a lot of locals that knew car existed she was pestered to death about selling it. It probably isn’t worth much now.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
When I was a kid they were building the suburbs. There was an older gentleman, built one house at a time with a younger apprentice. One day a shiny 1960 Coupe De Ville with less than 100 miles is parked in the garage of the house he was building across the street; this was 1965-66. Turns out he had bought it for his wife and she died like a week later. As soon as he had a house weathered in, he'd move the Caddy in, I guess to keep her with him.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I like it! But the color, I'll pass on.

My favorite year and first car was a 55 Ford that I will never forget!

Thx for posting~!

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
My old mans first brand new car was a 1950 Plymouth Business Coupe, blue. He had a 37 Plymouth he bought used when he got out of Navy in 1946. When he bought the 50 Plymouth I wasn’t born yet. The Dealer had a promotion that matching peddle car would be in Trunk for owners kids. It was and Dad got it out when I was old enough to peddle it. The peddle car was still being peddled up into the 60s and might still be we lost track of it. It went through at least 4 families worth of kids.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
well as a used car salesman's son, I grew up on used car lots. I was around as a teenager when all the olskool cars / hotrods roamed the earth. I saw them all and worked on them all and I had a lot! the fastest car I ever had was a ford, and I am a Chevy man, well really I like them all! the ford I had was a 67 galaxy 2dr. with the post, "sedan" it had a 4 speed and a built 428 interceptor mill. it would absolutely fly! a friend of mine that lived across the swamp from us had a 65 mustang, he thought it was a bomb! it was fast. it had a 4 speed with a built Holman and moody 289, at the time they were building I95 between his house and mine, a few miles apart, it was a super place to drag race! one Saturday afternoon we went out and lined them up. I had heard all the bragging and blabbing about how the mustang was the fastest thing around for the 1/4 mile. I let my big block do the talking that day. 3 times in a row I smoked him! he would hang with me till I hit 3rd gear, then I would see him in my rear view, he got so mad he screamed! oh those were the days! I feel my adrenaline as I type! thanks for the memories,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Back in the '80's, one of my brothers had a '50 Merc. He was an active member of the Mid-Century Mercury Owners Club. After many years without a classic car, about 3 years ago he purchased a 1950 Ford. It is as original as they come (he even has a 1950 Ford owner's manual in the glove box.) He drives it to and exhibits it at area classic car shows - usually wins.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Back in the '80's, one of my brothers had a '50 Merc. He was an active member of the Mid-Century Mercury Owners Club. After many years without a classic car, about 3 years ago he purchased a 1950 Ford. It is as original as they come (he even has a 1950 Ford owner's manual in the glove box.) He drives it to and exhibits it at area classic car shows - usually wins.
well man show us a photo or 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
When I was a child, Dad drove a '51 Mercury that ran "like a raped ape." He had the engine rebuilt in '57 and drove it until 1960. He bought another Mercury. Then in 1970, another big Mercury, 1980 another big Mercury and so on. Dad gave me his 1970 Mercury and it was a great running car until the motor began using a lot of oil at 140K. My Uncle Larry helped me replace it with a used engine that came from a wrecked Lincoln. I cont'd to drive it to about 180K then gave it away to my brother-in-law. It was still running when he junked it because the body was rusted out.

My wife drives a 2008 Mercury Sable that is running like new with 106K miles. My youngest daughter drives a 2008 Mercury Milan which is also a very good running car. We like our Mercurys. Modern V-6 motors easily compare to the 302 V-8's of yesteryear!

TR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts