Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a Marlin 1894 CB 24
What size have you found the best results .452, .453, .454 or larger any and all experience appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You have to find out what your rifle's groove diameter is by slugging the bore. Some people advise using fishing sinkers, but I prefer muzzleloader round balls.....I think they're softer. I would first make sure the bore is clean & then put a coat of VERY light oil, something like Kroil, down the bore. Start the ball with a short wood dowel rod & once you get it a ways down the bore you can switch to a longer one. Once you get it out you can measure it with a micrometer or vernier caliper & tell the bullet maker. My .45 Colt rifles' bores are tight, (not Marlin) at .451" so I use .452" cast bullets, (and .451" Speer jacketed). jd45

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Mine likes .454. As jd45 stated, you should slug your barrel first.

Reactions: piguy

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
My .45 colt cowboy prefers .454" cast bullets, but shoots alright with .452". My bore slugs out right at .452", which explains the better results with larger slugs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree, all manufactures vary in so many different ways. Marlin especially because some have micro groove and others don't. That's a big factor to know if your casting for a marlin rifle. You want to be a little on the bigger size if its micro groove and you want to keep it under the 1500fps range (which obviously is possible in 45 colt, but takes a lot of experience to get there and just wouldn't recommend it), but as a rule of thumb for other calibers with micro groove. As stated above, muzzle loader round balls work best. Make sure your bore is clean, coat it with oil, even spray a little at the muzzle. That's what I do, and I also give the lead ball a light coating of RCBS case lube. With a small hammer lightly tapping it into the muzzle and it will start to deform from hitting it with the hammer which is fine. As soon as its 95% of the way into the bore, use a wooden dowel from home depot or any hardware building supply store and keep tapping it all the way threw until it falls out of the breech, then mic it. Remember that the lands on the ball are actually the grooves from the bore that's what you want to measure. Then size .001-.002 larger. and your good to go. Remember to clean your bore again after slugging it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts