Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.45LC 20" Octagon barrel. How many made?

I found one of these NIB in a local shop. Owner says it was a limited run for Davidsons. The rifle say Cowboy LTD on it I think. It balances nice with the 20" octagon barrel. Will this gun chamber & fire the 300gr and up slugs like Corbon and Buffalo Bore?
Can anyone tell me how limited this run was?
What are these going for now?
He has it priced at $540 but I know it can be had for less or an interesting trade.
Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts

Yes, they will handle the Corbon or Buffalo Bore ammo. Usually Davidson's has Marlin make a run of 1000. However there was one version with a 20 inch barrel that only around 300 were made. Maybe someone will chime in if it was the rifle you are looking at. Parley

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Parley. Anyone have an idea?
I'd really like to know what it'd be worth. he ahs 2 of them. One os still in the box, never seen the sunlight. Beautiful wood on them, uncheckered. It has a full buckhorn rear sight.
I'm tempted!

·
Registered
137 Posts

to purchase a Davidson's limited run of any make or model as an investment is a poor choice. Return on your money will be slow, take the 336D as an example. NIB when they came out could be had around $450-$500, today a couple years later the guys that have them NIB are asking $600 and are selling them quickly. Yes they are selling here and there for that price but you must be willing to hold onto it for sometime.
Basically it is that way with ANY of Davidson's runs as far as investment. BUTTTTT! and it is a big but, Davidson's does provide nice rifles in their orders of limited runs, that the makers do not offer as part of their product line. As they are shrewd enough to know good combination when they see it!

·
Registered
84 Posts

I have one and it is a run of 1000. Makes for one heck of a brush gun. Bringing mine on vacation with me. Had a big blackbear come strolling in on me one day while piling brush for burning and sure could of used something a bit bigger than my .22. I hollered at him and he took off so no harm done this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have a 20", octagon barrel. When I bought it in 2001 there was a letter in the box from the President of Marlin saying it was a limited run of 2000 in 2000. The receiver is blued not color cased hardened. I love the gun.

Mountain Drover

·
Registered
6,670 Posts

All of the Davidsons special runs have a different serial numbering from the norm and each other. For the 45 Colt run in 2001 the serial would run: 1894IVXXXX. Replace the Xs with digits from 0001 to 1000.

Just for info.....

The 1999 run of 1000 in 41 Magnum is serialed: 1894CCLXXXX

The 2000 run of 325 in 44-40 is serialed: 1894DXXX. My rifle "Ol #81" is from this group. I'll leave which one to the imagination.

As far as a run in 2002 & 2003, I have no info other than it seemed to take forever for Davidsons to run out of the Cowboy Carbine Limiteds in 45 Colt. If further runs were made in 45 Colt during this period for Davidsons, I'm unaware of it. I do know that if I'd have bought one of the CCLs in 45 and then they did some more runs, I'd not be too happy with 'em.

And this years run of 501 in 32-20 is serialed: CCLXXXD

Willy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts