Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sent the cylinders from my 4" Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt and my 2 1/2" Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull to have them machined to accept 45acp moon clips. I sent them off to "TK Custom" for the conversion and I must say that a 1 day turnaround time was astonishing and the workmanship was outstanding. http://www.moonclips.com/content/machine.asp
I didn't think of it beforehand but I installed lighter mainsprings in both guns while waiting for the cylinders to arrive. As a result I had one misfire in the 454 Alaskan and 3 in the Redhawk. I need to add 2# to each spring rate and retest both guns for 100% reliability.
I shot 50 rounds of S&B 45acp through each gun and was thoroughly impressed with the performance of the conversion. The 4" Redhawk shot better than any of my 3", 4" or 5" S&W 625's. I have a set of GP100 factory grips on the Alaskan and it shoots like a very loud .22! Now I can shoot 454's, 45 Colts and 45acp through the Alaskan. Likewise I can use 45 Colt and 45acp in the Redhawk now.
All I can say is, "If you're considering having this done to one of your guns, don't put it off any longer. You're missing out on the added versatility and all the fun!"

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 45acp cylinder conversion

They still shoot their original calibers and now, the 45acp. All the conversion does is relieve the area where the moon clips rest. Best $100 (each cylinder) I ever spent.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

thats awesome I've been thinking about getting a ruger redhawk in 45 colt and this would let me shoot 45acp too. I'll make sure I let the wife know that you're the reason I have to buy another gun now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Let her shoot it first and you're golden. But remember, you run the risk of never seeing "your" Redhawk again, it will magically be "her's" from that point on.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

Very cool, Mountain!

I've thought about having the conversion done on my GP100s, as the moonclips seem to be so much faster. Glad to know the price is worth it.

Jon

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

I have seen a couple of the TK Custom guns around. They do good work. One of their regular products is SP101 in 32 Mag all cut out and load either with moon clips or loading one by each.

Their website is pretty useful. It seems like they are at least open to suggestions or ideas of what people think they want.

That Redhawk in 45 Colt and ACP sounds like a good regular catalog item for some outfit to build and stock.

Thanks for sharing this- very cool.

M

·
Registered
77 Posts

i sent my super redhawk to pinnaccle pistolsmith who is one of tkcustoms authorized guys. He's cutting the barrel down to 4.25" and adding the 45acp moonclips. Its gonna be a sweetie

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have an update concerning synthetic EZ Moon clips.
http://www.ezmoonclip.com/
If you're going to use these you'll need to trim 3/16" off of each of the "fingers" that enclose the cartridge rim. Otherwise they won't fit down into the machined recess of the cylinder. They can be trimmed with scissors but I'd recommend making a small jig so that you can use a Dremel tool with a sandpaper drum bit. Take a hex head bolt that will fit tightly inside the EZ clip and affix the bolt to a sheet of steel. Mount the bolt so that the clip will overhang the edge of the steel 3/16", then the excess can be trimmed off by rotating the clip to the next "finger".
Here are before and after pics of a loaded EZ clip in the cylinder, if you'll look closely in between each round you can see where the trimmed clip now sits down into the machined recess.

·
Registered
77 Posts

didn't know you could use the ez ones in the ruger, thought they were too thick. WHich ones did you get? They are alot cheaper than the tkcustom ones

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If you'll note in the EZ clip web site description, the EZ clips are thicker and the acp rims are countersunk down into them. The ones that I used are the standard 625 model EZclips, but they will need trimming if used in one of the Ruger conversions.
Apparently EZ does make a clip with a smaller outside diameter, I have some on the way to check out. I have no idea why these aren't listed on the website.
Personally I'm going to stick with the steel Ranch Product clips and use a demooner tool.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

I have a home made demooner tool for my SMITH & WESSON model 610. Simple, cheap, and effective- its just a 7" long piece of PVC pipe with 3/4" inside diameter and an end cap that is not glued on. If I want to keep the brass in the tube I leave the end cap stuck in place. If I want to let the brass run right through and fall into a bucket I leave it off.

All of my moon clips are metal and some times- with some of the clips it can be real tough to pop the brass out. The demooner is kind of nice.

M

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Newest update,
EZ clips has a 625 Rimz model that is for the 625-4 and newer guns, it has a smaller ID & OD. They're the same size as the ones that I trimmed but they are made of a much softer rubbery material rather than the more rigid poly of the standard model. The rounds fall out of the new style clips too easy for my tastes. Should be ok for range use but I certainly won't be using them for defensive use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts