Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a novice re-loader I don't know if this is a feasible undertaking. We all know the .450 is capable of setting a rhino or elephant on his butt. The round delivers a couple of tons of energy, but starts to drops like the proverbial lead balloon after 100 yards (understandably, considering the anvil sized bullet sent down range.)
For the tube fed, lever action .450's this would be very unhealthy, possibily ending in the Elmer Fudd syndrome or worse.
Being an H & R single shot .450 Marlin owner I was wondering.................
.....has anyone every re-loaded this round with a conical or ballistic tip bullet, such as a Hornady 300 Gr SST/ML bullet? And if so, did it improve
the down range trajectory any? Or, am I just wishing for something that can't be done?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't have the 450,but I am sure someone here has tryed it.Try posting on the big bore forum and I'm sure you will get your answer.
And I see this is your first post welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, with a single-shot .450 Marlin you can load spire pointed or any shaped bullet you wish since you do not have to deal with the same issues that you do with a lever gun and having to use blunt/flat nosed bullets in tubular magazines.

The load data you use will be the same as you see for equal weight flat pointed bullets. Velocities will be slightly improved down-range due to the higher BC of spire pointed bullets' ability to maintain velocity.

You also have the luxury of seating your bullets out further if you wish, since you are not limited to the same COAL as you are with a magazine rifle. This sometimes gives you improved groups in individual guns. You'll have to experiment to determine if that's the case with your individual rifle.

Obviously you'll never make a .280 Rem out of it, but you can improve trajectories by enjoying slightly higher down-range velocities. The stubby 300gr bullet will lose velocity faster due to poor SD compared to heavier/longer bullets and their higher SD and BC. There's a balance to be found of course, but depending what you're primary use will be for this rifle consider the pointed 400gr Woodleigh Weldcore (SD: .272 and BC: .420 at $39 per 50) for example if you really want a tough bullet for heavy game. Or the Barnes Original Semi-Spitzer (SD: .272 / BC: .389 at $30 per 50 at MidwayUSA) is a fine bullet too and probably somewhat cheaper than the Woodleighs. The 350gr Barnes-X (SD: .283 and BC: .402 at $15.51 per 20) is also a fantastic bullet. As a comparison the Speer 400gr JFP commonly used in Marlin lever guns is (SD: .214 and BC: .272)

Let us know what you come up with, perhaps others will find it interesting too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...thanks Arizona, just the type data i was looking for. Like i said, we all know the .450 isn't a tack driver or a varmiter. I was just throwing this out there to see if anyone could help me improve the 200 yd grouping where it really starts to drop off.
I really like the gun, as a matter of fact....was hunting 4 days ago for 5 hrs. in the woods in a steady snowstorm...didn't see a hair...got in the Jeep and drove up to the edge of the field and there was a 4 pt. lying in the tall grass on the alee side.....quartering slightly towards me...the gun's sighted in at 1" over @ 100 yds., put it right on his back......he didn't move an inch when hit....range finder put him at 207 yds., but your data and a little tinkering will probably keep me from having to adjust for elevation and/ or drag the range finder out.
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sluggo,

Let us know how things go for you. As an example here's a theoretical load launching the spire pointed 400gr Woodleigh Weldcore (BC= .420) at 1950fps. Assuming your rifle will safely operate at this velocity here's the approx trajectory table you can expect if sighted 2.5" high at 100yds. Out to 250yds it's a viable big game loading that will drop just about anything you're likely to ever lay eyes on.

***NOTE: Remember folks this is for Sluggo's single-shot H&R or other single-shots, not a tubular magazine rifle, as you cannot safely fire pointed bullets in a tubular magazine***

50yds +1.7"
75yds +2.4"
100yds +2.5"
125yds +1.9"
150yds +.5"
175yds -1.6"
200yds -4.5"
225yds -8.2"
250yds -12.9"

As a comparison here's the 400gr Speer JFP with BC of .272

50yds +1.8"
75yds +2.5"
100yds +2.5"
125yds +1.7
150yds +.1
175yds -2.3"
200yds -5.7"
225yds -10.2"
250yds -15.7"

As you can see it makes little difference until you get out to around 225+ yards, then the sleeker spire point begins to show it's flatter trajectory. Also remember retained velocity and energy figures are higher due to it's sleek profile. For example...

At 250 yards the 400gr Speer JFP (BC .272) has a velocity of 1352fps and energy of 1623 ft/lbs.

At 250 yards the 400gr Woodleigh PP (BC .420) has a velocity of 1540fps and energy of 2105 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
pointed bullets CAN be used in tube mag lever actions...just makes it into a "two shot"...one in the chamber and one in the tube :D

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
sluggo said:
...we all know the .450 isn't a tack driver...
I'm changing my attitude about that. I started to do some work with my 1895MR this week and it appears to have all my Marlins beat, one impressive rifle. Yesterday I put three Hornady 350-grain RNs through the same hole at 100-yards. MikeG from over at Shooters Forum was present to witness the shots (I don't think he is a regular here)! I will shoot this stuff for the Postal Match today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts