Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are pictures of 3 pigs and a coyote I recently shot on my hunting lease in north Texas.

I have really come to like the 450 and it has become my primary hog gun. I have used several different calibers on pigs over the years including the 30-30, 35 Rem, 375 Win, and 358 Win and never had the success that I have had with the 450. A lot of my shots have been on running pigs and with the other calibers, if I did not hit major bone, alot of times the animal was lost. I know that shot placement is key, but under the circumstances I am happy to have hit it anywhere. And a hit with the 450 "anywhere" has, so far, resulted in a recovered animal. I have also used the 444 Marlin, but lost a pig with a shot that hit a bit too far back of the shoulder.

Under field conditions I find the recoil a non-issue and I believe the ports on my gun reduce the noise to the shooter considerably. I do use a limb-saver pad over the standard pad when hunting in just a tee shirt. The scope is a Leupold 1-4x VX1 with the heavy plex reticle.

JKR

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
JKR welcome to the forum but don't you think a 450 is abuse of power on a coyote.... ;D I didn't think so.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good job. I just got a 1895m and I'm looking forward to doing some hunting myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and comments guys.

The coyote was a target of opportunity. I was sitting over a water hole hoping a pig would show up. Well, no pig showed but the coyote stopped right in the middle of my shooting lane. And wow, does the 450 make one heck of a big exit wound!

Jkr

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
JKR said:
Here are pictures of 3 pigs and a coyote I recently shot on my hunting lease in north Texas.

I have really come to like the 450 and it has become my primary hog gun. I have used several different calibers on pigs over the years including the 30-30, 35 Rem, 375 Win, and 358 Win and never had the success that I have had with the 450. A lot of my shots have been on running pigs and with the other calibers, if I did not hit major bone, alot of times the animal was lost. I know that shot placement is key, but under the circumstances I am happy to have hit it anywhere. And a hit with the 450 "anywhere" has, so far, resulted in a recovered animal. I have also used the 444 Marlin, but lost a pig with a shot that hit a bit too far back of the shoulder.

Under field conditions I find the recoil a non-issue and I believe the ports on my gun reduce the noise to the shooter considerably. I do use a limb-saver pad over the standard pad when hunting in just a tee shirt. The scope is a Leupold 1-4x VX1 with the heavy plex reticle.

JKR
Which pic has the coyote?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry but I tried several times but did could not get all 4 photos to load given the 200K size limit so the cotote picture is not there.

I encountered the first two pigs feeding along a stream. The pig in the first picture, a boar was quartering away from me. I had the wind in my face and he had his head down and never knew I was there. I closed to about 30 yards and hit him high on the shoulder. You can see the entrance wound to the left of the rifle barrel. He went down and never got up. He did thrash around in the water for a while so he was not DRT. At the shot the sow, which was slightly closer but out of sight over the bank of the stream took off and ended up broad side to me, runnning right to left at about 25 yards. I knew she was there and was ready for her. However, when she saw me she stopped and my first shot missed in front of her. She took off again and stopped on the opposite side of a cedar tree about 30 yards away. I could see her throught the branches and fired a second shot. She ran about 30 yards and died. The second picture shows the exit wound.

There was also a piglet with them that came running back at me while I was reloading. It was about the size of a football and was running around like crazy. I fired two shots at it and never connected. So I ended up firing 5 shots in about 3 minutes and the noise and recoil were not a problem.

I waited about 1/2 hour and then continued down the stream bank. I encounterd the third pig after covering about 200 yards. It broke from the bank across the stream about 20 yards away and ran right to left down the stream. I hit it once low, light behind the front legs and I thought it was going down, but it did not and tried to escape by running up a higt bank directly across from me. I missed a shot as it ran up the bank. IT made it to the top and ran about 15 yrds and stopped, facing away from me. I shot right in the butt put it down for good.

So I got to fire my 450 8 times at pigs within about 40 minutes!

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
The 450M are great, I don't have one I have a 45-70, gives the game the same reaction. It's like being hit with a house brick travelling at 1000mph (the pig not me). that will do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
JKR I thought the story of 3 pigs had a wolf in it. :)

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Are you sure that coyote is not just snoozing? Or is it a real looooonnnng snooze, like permanent?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Awesome isn't it! The sure power the 450 has. I too have found that the recoil is not as bad as i thought it might be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awesome shooting. What part of North Texas? I'm in the Pineywoods/Gulf coast here, plenty of pigs, but not that kind of action for me yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts