Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to the 450 scene with a JM 1895m. What is the max range for the 450 and what would be a good scope for it? I have a 2.5-8 Leupy that I thought would be a good choice, but then I thought a fixed 4x might work as well, thoughts? Thanks and happy 4th!!

Todd

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I had a 4x30 mildot on mine for a spell, Hit the 300 yard gong, never went any further, still had scope left.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I put the 2.5-8 Leupy on it and it didn't look balanced. So in doing a little searching in my junk drawer I found a cheap old Bushnell 1.5-4.5 and threw it on. Definitely looks more balanced, will the little Bushnell hold up to the mighty 450 though?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
I have used mine on deer at a lasered 298 yards. No problem. reflex264

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mine has a sightron 2.5x on it. I don't carry mine if I expect to shoot over about 100, maybe 125 yards. Not that it won't work beyond that, I just have other options I like better at that range.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
What is the max range on a 45-70? With most folks the limiting factor is the shooter. Since you have a 2.5-8 use it. It's an awesome choice.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I like 2-7x32 on mine. I don't consider it a 300 yard gun, simply due to the trajectory at that range, but if you know the yardage and the trajectory, the cartridge will do the job.
I am not a good judge of yardage and honestly the longest shot I ever made was around 125 yards with an open sighted 1895XLR. That buck ran out across an open soy bean field.
In my area, most shots are around 50 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I put a 3 X 10 on mine, and where I hunt elk, I don't recall ever dialing it over about 5 - I definitely agree that low power is good, and you just can't go wrong with a fixed 4 power. As far as range, yep - the bullets go far as long as you understand you're lobbing mortar-type rounds after a fair distance. While I would never have the opportunity to shoot farther than 100 yards in the black timber, I have shot mine (.450 MR) off the bench at 200 yards just to see what it would do. It did well, grouping a trifle over 3 inches. It would do better if it had a better set of eyes behind it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts