Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone from Melbourne, Australia

I'm about to start a relationship with a Win 94 Trails End Take Down in 450 Marlin. Researching the internet has brought home to me just how few reloading options there are for this caliber and how difficult it is to get them. It doesn't worry me so much about how difficult, but the conflicting and restricted information does. It would appear to me that the only unloaded cases available for reloading is Hornady"s 8693 in packets of 50. I have not been able to find out the length of these cases, are they 2.10 inch as per SAAMI or are they shortened to accept the Hornady Leverlution gummies? If they are shortened it would be a deal killer for me although perhaps I could persuade Bertrams to make some. It came as a unpleasant surprise to find out Starline doesn't manufacture cases for this caliber.

Another issue is reloading dies, I know Hornady make a good 3 die set which is expensive ($160AUD) but available to me, but I would prefer to use some of the dies from my 45-70 Lee 4 die set. I'm hoping I can use the powder through the expander die, I know I can use the seating and factory crimp dies.

Any help or suggestions from Forum members would be very welcome as I have hit the information wall on these issues. Probably the have been covered in past posting but I haven't been able to find the exact data I need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's for that vt4ster, it's a big relief, so I can continue with my purchase. If anyone knows about the adaptability or not to 450 Marlin of the Lee powder through expander die for 45-70 I would appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
start on the low end and work it up. The Gummie don't work for me, you have trim your brass down to the point that's all your bass can only be use for gummies.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you want to shoot the gummy tips you need to shorten the cases or just buy used LE brass. I decided to just use full length (standard) cases and shoot a different bullet. I like the Speer 300 grain jacketed bullet. Or the Hornady 350 grain flat point. Just be careful as Speer make two different 350 grain bullets. One is a longer nose taper and is too long for lever actions.
You need the correct die set. And shell holder.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
341 Posts
IIRC, the purchased brass is the regular 2.085". The loaded gummy tip brass is cut short to whatever works. I haven't measured it, but it is shorter than the .450M brass they sell.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
G'day Peke, i see Magnum Sports have a special on these. Is that where you got yours?
Say g'day over in the ANZMO section, we've been way too quiet ! Welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's for the info on brass length and gummy tip projectiles although I'm inclined not to use them. At the moment 350gn jacketed flat nose at about 1900 fps might be in my comfort zone. In the long term I'll probably move to Buffalo River cast coated projectiles. Their 255gn projectiles have been excellent in my 38-55.
You got it right Boris, although I haven't received it yet, fingers still crossed. I believe a couple of guys from WA got in a bit earlier than me and while I was procrastinating bought up all the brass and reasonably priced dies currently available. I have been able to order some Hornady dies from Brownells in the USA for only about $10 aud extra and am negotiating will Bruce Bertram for a run of 2.10 inch 450 brass. I didn't know if this was a ANZMO issue or not but will certainly catch up. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I don't know if you can use Gunbroker in Australia given your firearm laws, but used brass is on there all the time.
Both length cases.

Reactions: Ojaileveraction

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to 450 land! I have tried the gummies and didn't have good results, actually tried in two rifles without good results. By results I mean accuracy. My go to load is Hornady 350gr Flat Nose with 58.0ge H322. This duplicates factory Hornady loads, and shoots in two rifles under an inch ! I have shot Bear, Hog and many deer with this combo and if performs great. Please work up to this in your rifle as it is a max load! Gday

1 - 11 of 11 Posts