Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a 1895M JM 450 MARLIN, it has a 18inch ported barrel. About all I have ever shot with it, on any thing of any size, were some small pigs nothing over 250lbs down in NE Texas several years ago. But the rifle has done the DRT thing on, everything I have shot with it so far. I have not had to look for any thing. I am lucky enough to have several Marlins that my Son & I shoot and we love them all. I have had a love affair with Lever Action Marlins since I was young. I bought my first Marlin a 39-A Golden Model 22 in 1963 and I still have it, and hunt with it quite often. But back to the 450 Marlin, is this enough rifle to Hunt the Big Bears with. In my way of thinking it would be, but we never had any Big Bears or any Bears at all where I grew up or any old men that had hunted them, to tell me if my 450 Marlin was enough Gun.But I would just about bet there is several people around here, that would know for sure, one way or the other. I sure would like to know from some body that has had some first hand experience mabey more than once. Also I would like to know when my rifle was made, serial numbers are 0005XXXX. I bought my rifle used several years a go in like new condiction and it still is even tho my Son & I have hunted with it a lot. I don`t know how I did this, but I lost the hood for the front sight awhile back, where can I get a replacement for it. THANK YOU for letting me join your Fourm,I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks in advance for any ansewers to my questions.
ken

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Welcome aboard. Yours was born in the year 2000. I've picked up several hoods from this business - marlinsighthoods.com

The 450 will take any game in North America - period. I've had several and they are a blast and cycle even better than a 45/70.

1895gunner

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1895Gunner: (((THANK YOU ))) for ansewering my questions. I have really enjoyed being aloud to join Your Fourm. The people here are very knowledgeable, and extremley kind and very generous with their time. I have had a love affair with Lever Action Rifles & Single Action Pistols for as long as I can remember, and thoes feeling have always stayed with me. I will turn 71 years old this OCT. I bought first rifle in 1963 a Marlin 39A Golden Model, I still have it, and I still shoot and hunt with it quite a bit. It still looks and shoot just like it did the day I got 50 years ago.
Thanks Again:
ken

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The Hornady 350 JFP factory load would be my choice. Bullets have a heavier jacket for deeper penetration. For a factory load it has good speed. It clocks at 2060 fps from my 24" XLR.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ken - welcome aboard. You and I have the same Marlin and as stated it will certainly harvest anything walking in N. America. I tend to shy away from the gummy tips unless it's for thin skinned game. For a factory load the Hornady 350 JFP recommended above also gets my vote. BB make some stout loadings that are definitely designed for dangerous game, but you pay for that performance.

Good Hunting.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Yep it will stop a bear orrrrrrrrrrr worse.........

My rifle has taken several big bears. I lone it out to friends that are headed out after big critters.

Reactions: fishkat
1 - 10 of 10 Posts