Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to take a look at a 450 Marlin apparenty made in 2002. It does have the JM markon the barrel, but the owner has yet to verify the mfg date.

I understand that Remington never made a 450 and I am curious if there are any know issues with a 2002 that looks brand new?

I nephew wants a big bore and the 450 at a fair price would be a good addition to his rifles.

Any comments on the 450 would be appreciated!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
No problems I have heard of. The only year-to-year differences it that some were ported and some were not. Otherwise they are all the same. There were three models though. The 1895M which is the guide gun version, the 1895MR which is a pistol grip stock and a longer barrel (also the rarest model) and the 1895MXLR which was stainless with a pistol grip laminate stock and a 24" barrel. If it is a 2002 model it can only be a 1895M though. The other models weren't made yet. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...y-updated-marlin-dates-production-sheets.html and open the link to page one.

-Bob

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a Guide Gun from what I can see in the Pictures. Not Ported, and of course JM stamped on barrel.

My nephew wants a big bore and is aware of having to reload.

He says the gun has never been fired, and has box.

Right now the guy is being difficult. He lives in PA as I do and before I drive over two hours to check out the rifle and probably buy it, I told him I wanted his FULL NAME, address and cell phone number. He has not replied yet, but I have been having problems with my Juno email account. I sent him another email this morning. He has to provide me with more information, in particular his cell phone number. I gave him all my info. I am not going to drive over 2 hours on a wild goose chase.

We have to be aware that there are scammers out there and I need a way to track this guy down if its a rip off.

Mike T.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Brass can be a problem to find.
Hornady is the only company making 450 Marlin factory ammo (325 grain FTX & 350 grain SP).
Remember that the Hornady brass for the factory 325 grain FTX ammo is shorter than SAAMI specs.
I don't know about the brass used in the factory 350 grain SP load..........I haven't measured it.
I bought 30 boxes (@ 20 rounds) of factory ammo (15 x 325 grain FTX load + 15 x 350 grain SP load) for 600 brass because I've got 2 rifles in 450 Marlin to feed (Browning '81 BLR & Winchester 94TE) in case the factory ammo goes off the market completely.
The factory Hornady 450 Marlin ammo is pretty robust running about 3500 ft-lbs ME.
Bags of new 450 Marlin cases are impossible to find in my area.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pricedo:

Yes, ammo is a big concern. Personally, I only buy rifles that have commercial ammo available. My nephew wants to reload anyway so I will tell him about the brass problem you mentioned.

Can't reload and shoot if you can't the supplies.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Pricedo:

Yes, ammo is a big concern. Personally, I only buy rifles that have commercial ammo available. My nephew wants to reload anyway so I will tell him about the brass problem you mentioned.

Can't reload and shoot if you can't the supplies.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Also be advised that the 450 Marlin utilizes a proprietary case with an extra wide belt and can't be made by trimming 458 Win Mag brass or any other common caliber brass.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I wasn't aware of that. I bet my nephew doesn't know either. I will pass that on!

Thanks!

Mike T.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Man, I wasn't aware of that. I bet my nephew doesn't know either. I will pass that on!

Thanks!

Mike T.
The development of the 450 Marlin caliber was a joint venture between Marlin & Hornady.
The 450 Marlin round was designed for the 1895M rifle.
Against all prudent advice at the time they (Marlin & Hornady) went with the proprietary wide belt case instead of commercializing the 458 American (a shortened version of the 458 Winchester Magnum) which would have provided about the same ballistics and a cartridge that could be made by trimming the 458 Winchester Magnum and other common caliber cases if commercial cases or ammo couldn't be found.
The unfortunate decision was based on the assumption that we (levergunners) are too stupid to read the stenciled printing on rifles and case heads and might put the wrong ammo in the wrong gun.
That decision alone earmarked the 450 Marlin caliber for obsolescence.
Marlin (Remlin) has since dropped production of their 1895M rifle and we're not likely to see it back.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pricedo:

Frankly, I would have missed that case size problem. I have not reloaded yet because of the cost of supplies and at least one other factor, but I do have a buddy that has reloaded for 40 years or so and might have a clue.

I am happy that Remington never started making the 450 Marlin, at least I know that the rifle I am looking at will be an original JM and worth taking the drive tomorrow.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Pricedo:

Frankly, I would have missed that case size problem. I have not reloaded yet because of the cost of supplies and at least one other factor, but I do have a buddy that has reloaded for 40 years or so and might have a clue.

I am happy that Remington never started making the 450 Marlin, at least I know that the rifle I am looking at will be an original JM and worth taking the drive tomorrow.

Cheers!

Mike T.
Here we go again......... the "all Remlins are bad and all JMs are good" mantra.
You guys need to learn to shop for guns like you shop for cars.
Nobody would think of finalizing the purchase of a car unless they at least looked it over and took it for a test drive.
I don't buy guns that I'm not allowed to inspect and test and my goto dealers let me do it.
I own REP Remlins which are just as good as the JM Marlins I own.
I wish Remlin would start the 1895Ms again because I would like one to complete my 450 Marlin Trifecta (Win 94, BLR, 1895M).
I am very fond of the 450 Marlin round.
Those rimless cigar shaped cartridges make for very slick cycling.
You haven't experienced a slick cycling gun until you've worked the action of a BLR in 450 Marlin.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I've got a pair of 450's 1895M, and a 1895 XLRM. No issues with either one. In fact I'd say they actually cycle a little bit better than the other big bores, seems the almost rimless belted cartridge is smoother feeding, at least that has been my observation. As for reloading I only reload for my 45-70's. the 450 factory stuff is quite warm. 350gr JFN Hornady's running @2100fps is all I need out of it for my purpose. If they ever stop making the factorey stuff I've got 200 once fired standard length cases and 200 new 350 gr's that are also standard length unlike the pointed 325gr's. A great round, and a great rifle.
JB

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Here we go again......... the "all Remlins are bad and all JMs are good" mantra.
You guys need to learn to shop for guns like you shop for cars.
Nobody would think of finalizing the purchase of a car unless they at least looked it over and took it for a test drive.
I don't buy guns that I'm not allowed to inspect and test and my goto dealers let me do it.
I own REP Remlins which are just as good as the JM Marlins I own.
I wish Remlin would start the 1895Ms again because I would like one to complete my 450 Marlin Trifecta (Win 94, BLR, 1895M).
I am very fond of the 450 Marlin round.
Those rimless cigar shaped cartridges make for very slick cycling.
You haven't experienced a slick cycling gun until you've worked the action of a BLR in 450 Marlin.
Me too pricedo, I would love for remington to bring back the 450 thus assuring the future of 450 ammo. Oh well one can only hope.
JB

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
And I'm NOT, I repeat NOT paying $750 - $1000 for a so-called Holy Grail used JM 1895M whether it's NIB or not.

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Currently 450 Marlin ammo is low. It is not a main stream caliber and like all such cartridges, it runs in cycles with production. I was able to find seven boxes of Hornady 350 FP ammo at various shops near me just by calling around. I have dies and brass, but plan on using the factory stuff for hunting for the next few years. Unlike 45-70, I cannot get reloads to match factory ballistics in the 450 Marlin. I have never shot the LE ammo. Frankly, as a die hard reloader, I won't deal with the shorter cases from such ammo. I have enough going on in reloading that I can't deal with two different case lengths. It is bad enough that I load for three different power levels in 45-70.
The 450 Marlin shines with factory ammo as compared to the 45-70 factory ammo. It is a bit much for PA whitetails, but I still carry the 45-70 or 450 Marlin with me in the woods. Just keep back off of the shoulder. The one I shot last fall just shivered a bit, took a few steps and fell over. I was surprised it didn't just drop on the spot, but I suspect that the bullet did not open up much and acted like a cast bullet.
Feel free to PM if you have questions...

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Bill:

I am sorry that I have been neglecting this Thread. As it turns out, after speaking to a few other lever gun nuts that own 450 Marlins, as well as the Posts in this Thread, I decided to back off on buying a 450 Marlin. I decided to stick with the 45-70 and make my life easier. I am really not in the Financial position to spread out to additional calibers, especially ones that are not commercially available. No job right now, so I have to be smart about the little money I do have. The most significant thing I learned about the 450 Marlin is how smoothi it cycles. The design of the cartridge works better in lever guns.

I am going to continue practicing at the Range with my 30-30's while piddling around on the 45-70 on occasion.

Thanks for jumping in with some good informatioin!

Mike T.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts