Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin (JM) 2006 .45LC Limited Edition Cowboy with the octagonal barrel.

I have Plenty of AMMO, including some Leverevolution and Barnes (200 grain) ammo for hunting. Most of it is cowboy ammo for range and plinking.

Would there be, in your opinion, any reason to consider purchasing a .454 Casull if the largest game I will hunt would be White Tail deer?

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
No need for a 454 Casull if you're totin a 45 Colt for deer.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
It's 454 "Casull". When I bought my pistol the girl at the police registration office spelled it "Casual" which technically there is no such gun named as such. I never went back to get it corrected.

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
It's 454 "Casull". When I bought my pistol the girl at the police registration office spelled it "Casual" which technically there is no such gun named as such. I never went back to get it corrected.
I think maybe "auto correct" is changing his words.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If you buy a Casull, do so because you want one, not because you need it for whitetail.

Ammo will be 4x the price of 45 Colt, and so will the recoil. The 45 Colt in a Marlin can be loaded to the performance of a 44 Mag and beyond. That's plenty for deer and black bear. And elk if you can get within 75 yards.

I'm not sure exactly why the 454 Casull was developed, other than to say it had been done, and to sell single action revolvers, of course. That caliber and the 500 S&W are only practical, if not completely necessary, for the large bears. moose, bison, and African game. I'm not denying that it's a hoot to shoot, if you can tolerate the recoil, muzzle blast, and if you have deep pockets.

Enjoy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts