Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all

I'm looking for some decent .45 Colt rifle loads for 100-300yard target accuracy. Any web sites or personal recipes welcome, up to 255gr pills. Max 300gr. :)

I ask this as I have no experience with this cal, one that for some reason :shock: has held my interest for some time. Can only find pistol data.

Will SWCs feed well into a CB24"? Coated lead seems more common and economical here in Oz, said to have same performance as jacketed. http://www.rpgfirearms.com.au/WESTCASTINGS.htm

A local gun shop owner and long time .45 Colt shooter, CAS & hunting, recommended his favourite boar stopper :
225gr FP(Hornady style)
22gr ADI AR2205 (as you know it H4227)

Thanks
Mucus

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I have a 45 Colt carbine, a Winchester Trapper version in which I shoot mainly the RCBS 300 SWC. It casts a bit over 300 with my alloy. I generally load it with W296 at the max for 300 bullets in the Ruger Blackhawk. Since my rifle spent some time existing as a 454 Casull and didn't blow up, I don't feel like I am stressing it too much. It shoots cast bullets sized to .454" better than jacketed bullets. I'm sure you could make it or a similar bullet work well with the H4227 equivalent.

The little 45 carbine makes a good bunny gun capable of slaying the little buggers cleanly even when they think they can hide behind 3-4" alder brush. Even the 250 grain bullets make it through with authority.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mad Mucus said:
I'm looking for some decent .45 Colt rifle loads for 100-300yard target accuracy. Any web sites or personal recipes welcome, up to 255gr pills. Max 300gr. :)

Thanks
Mucus
I think you're streaching things a bit @ 300 yds, it's got to have a trejectory like a rainbow?
I have no experience with the 45 colt in a rifle, but like you I see one in my near future. I think it would make a great short range deer rifle as well as a fun bunny blaster! :wink:

·
Registered
688 Posts
300 yards... ummm....

I've come to like 23 gr. H110 under the 300 gr. bullets in my gun BUT you'd best work up to that. 26 gr. H110 under the Hornady 250 gr. XTP was a screamer (relatively) at over 1700 fps AND a solid performer accuracy wise. MY GUN is NOT a Marlin. :wink:

Pistol loads is about all you WILL find. Fastest out of a pistol will probably be fastest or close to it from the rifle. That's my experience.

·
Registered
463 Posts
A quick check on Point Blank gives a mid range trejectory of about 47 inches for a 300 yd zero! :shock: At the target it looks like the bullet is going almost strait down :shock:
This was using a BC of .110 ( best guess ) with a 255 gr bullet @ 1400 FPS. ( still going [email protected])
All things considered, not the best 300 yds cartridge, but man what a blast trying to "walk one in" on a ground hog! :eek:
I've shot 38 wadcutters @ 200 yds, out of my 357 Max Handi Rifle, and it is a blast! :wink: The wind plays hell with them blunt bullets.
Aybody else have this kind of fun? :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you want the 45, well.... go for it. As stated above though, it falls like a brick after 100 yards.

You might also consider the 357 magnum for those long shots. I routinely hit the 200 yard sight in gong at my range with my 1894 CB in 357. I can occasionally plink the 300 gong with a lot of hold over and a spotter helping out. The 357 seems to me to be somewhat ballistically better than the 45 for the real long shots. More retained velocity and a ballistically more efficient bullet in my opinion. Also, it should be slightly cheaper to load for if thats a consideration. Less powder and cheaper bullets.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Like Reloaderman, and GLC, I also send a lot of .357 bullets sailing at distant targets. I can't comment on how well a 45 Colt would serve for the long range stuff, but the 357 magnum in a good accurate rifle can definately hit surprisingly small targets at extremely long lever action ranges.

One of my favorite passtimes is busting cow piles on distant hill sides with my trusty Marlin 357. It becomes fun between 200, and 300 yards!

...........................................................................................................

Reloderman,

47" isn't too awful hard to hold over. You just have to have some barrel showing in that rear sight notch! Do it like Elmer Keith used too!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
One thing that has to be considered is the twist rate in the rifle's barrel. I have a (GASP!) Winchester 94 carbine in .45 Colt and it doesn't shoot 300 gr. bullets worth a darn. :( I'm shooting the Lyman #457191, a nominally 292 gr. bullet that casts out right at 310 gr. in my alloy. I load them up just enough to duplicate the old 45-60 Winchester BP round. I'm of the thought that the twist rate in the barrel is too slow to properly stabilize a bullet that heavy. Probably, if I loaded it up a bit hotter they might be OK, but then it would defeat my purpose which was to hunt with it at BP velocity. Oh well, back to the drawing board. 8)
Paul B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts