Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin Cowboy Limited rifle with a 24" barrel in 45 Colt. I shoot cowboy silhouette in the pistol caliber competition out to 100 meters. I would appreciate any information on a good bullet weight and powder to use in this competition.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Was looking into 45 colt. From what I read, the heavier the better, If I go 45 colt, Im getting this mold

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I have the RD mold but have not had time to test them thoroughly. The few I have shot were good at short distances..

Papalote

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Heavy carries further.. :)

I use TrailBoss for CAS but for long range Unique would be the better powder.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I use the same rifle in that game. A lee 250 sized .454" on top of 5.8 grs of HP-38 will stay under 2" at 100 yards. Takes the rams down with authority, but is easy on the chickens. My rear is a lyman 66 and a 17 up front with the small bead. Good luck. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I know nothing of rams and chickens, but my Marlin 45 seems to like a bit heavier bullet. Those 200gr I tried seem to dirty up the action as well as one side of my face shooting 9gr of Unique, but the 250gr loads tightened things up very well. That chamber on my new 45 Colt barrel is quite big and needs the added pressure I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I have some loads with 250 GR RNFP and 9 GRS unique ready to try at the range when the weather breaks. Just wanted to know what everyone else was using and see if there was a better load for this game.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I own a .45LC revolver and for that I load 9g Unique under a 255g SWC or RNFP.

This gives a 900fps load that duplicates the original BP loading.

Out of a rifle, it will go faster, but being that Unique is a medium speed powder, the gain will be modest.

Using the data from the back of the manual - For Ruger and TC only - you can boost the performance with the use of 2400 or W296/H110 which are slower powders and they will utilize the extra barrel length.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Papalote...

I think you have the plain base version of that mold, not the gas checked version. I just started selling the gas checked version on Friday. The check makes a huge difference in performance as you can take advantage of the strength of the 1894 action. Makes it a mini 45-70! I shot this feral hog with the bullet two weeks ago broadside through the rib cage. The bullet lifted it right off its hooves! I was using 23.0-grains of H110.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
eaglesnest said:
I know nothing of rams and chickens, but my Marlin 45 seems to like a bit heavier bullet. Those 200gr I tried seem to dirty up the action as well as one side of my face shooting 9gr of Unique, but the 250gr loads tightened things up very well. That chamber on my new 45 Colt barrel is quite big and needs the added pressure I think.
I have the same issues with my brother's Winchester Trapper in .45... verrrrry generous chamber! A heavy bullet and a big charge of Unique or W296 keeps the chamber sealed up well.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Ranch Dog is correct. I do have the plain base design. I plan on shooting it with 20-21 grs H110. Before casting, I shot a 300 gr. Truncated Cone, plain base. Knocks the snot out of whitetails. If work didn't get in the way, I'd have them cast, loaded and shot.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I use the Lee 250 RFN over SR4756 (MAX) or Unique (9gr) for Silhouettes. Good accuracy. On the bottom notch I have a chicken foot hold, a Boar Belly hold. Next notch up gets me a Turkey body Leg junction hold and a center body hold on the Rams. It seems to knock everything down with authority. The chickens can sometimes end up behind the berm...

Shot my best ever round with the 1894 CB and that load, 34+ 5 turkeys in the shoot off.

Here's some video from last summer at the Tonasket Match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3TBtCY3G4

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Very good Wet Dog, that looks like way too much fun! ;D Wish they had that sort of thing happening up here...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts