Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got some .451 230gr FMJ bullets to use in my Winchester 94.
Now, I'm unsure on what to do regarding overall length.

Going by my Lyman 49th manual it says with a 225gr JHP (best I could match it with) to seat it to 1.557", however since there's no crimp groove I'm having trouble with the bullet sliding into the case. I got around the issue somewhat by not expanding the neck and seating it slowly. But also due to the curving profile of the bullet if I seat it to the stated length the case has a slight gap if you see what I mean. I loaded some to 1.630" which gives a good crimp on the bullet holding it in place well.

I fear that if I fire one loaded to 1.557" the ones in the tube will be set back into the case.

My usual HC lead 230gr load:

Seated to 1.630"

So would the longer round be safe to fire? I've not shot any of the FMJ yet, it does chamber correctly. Starting load is just over 12gr of Blue Dot.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
As you probable know those bullets are designed for the 45 ACP. One cannot cross reference the OAL of different types of bullets because there is always a difference in design and ogive. Proper bullet tension is obtained by the grip of the case wall on the bullet. A crimp will actually lessen that grip if no cannula is present. All a crimp does is prevent bullet set back or bullet jump. The crimp has nothing to do with tension of the bullet to case. Personally I wouldn't load those into the tube of my gun. The risk is just to great in my opinion but others may disagree.

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Agree with Gohon. I shoot thousands of .451" 230 gr FMJ bullets through my .45 ACP 1911 pistols. That's the cartridge those bullets were intended to work in.

I'd recommend going back to a bullet design more appropriate for the .45 Colt and the lever action rifle.

These FMJ's may work, but it just seems like an exercise in frustration since there are so many good bullets designed for the .45 Colt revolver cartridge.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I also think you're using the wrong bullet in your .45 Colt cases. You need bullets designed for the revolver cartridge, which have a crimp groove. Crimping in that groove will assure a more harmonious outcome. Set the ACP bullets aside & go get some .45 Colt bullets. jd45

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.