Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellow Marlin owners,

I recently picked up a box of this ammunition to test in my Marlin Cowboy rifle and was wondering if anyone here has tried it and, if so, what your results have been(?).

Thank you,
w30wcf

p.s. I dissected 5 rounds and found they contained an average of 8.0 grs. of smokeless powder, so perhaps the velocity is a bit higher than the other commercial .45 Colt Cowboy cartridge offerings(?). The Brass is Starline and the bullet is the Magma type 250 gr. .452" diameter with a 21 bhn.

Reactions: ia1727

·
Registered
348 Posts
30---haven't tried their 45 colt ammo,but have used some of their stuff in 38-55-------223---pretty good stuff----ya probly right bout the rounds being little stouter-but probably not in Ruger only category----They some pretty good folks to talk with-----not a huge massive factory like Winnie or Rem.----but not a set up in someones garage either! Their website has tel.number----They have a good variety of selection in most calibs. & several that they offer 1x fired reloads also------If it were my 94 cowboy 45 colt the .452 diam. would cause me some flyiers at 100 yds or further----mine needs .454 for real good accuracy!!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. Most of the ammunition that I shoot are reloads and I find that in my rifle, at least to this point, like yours, prefers .454"+ for best accuracy.....but there have been exceptions like the swaged soft bullets used in some of the factory .45 Colt ammunition that I have tested.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/127032-test-results-45-colt-cowboy-ammunition.html

I ran across the box of Black Hills .45 Colt at a local gun shop and decided that I wanted to add it to other factory ammunition I have tested as illustrated in the chart in the link referenced.

I hope to get to the range in the next several days and add the Black Hills data to the chart.

w30wcf

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
30wcf

I haven't tried it in .45 Colt, but have shot enough of it in the 9mm to know it's VERY good ammo.
I wouldn't hesitate to get it & shoot it. In a Marlin 94 you shouldn't have to worry as much about pressure as you would if you were shooting a Colt SAA.
I would use it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Black hills makes (or used ro make) ammunition for the army marksmanship unit. Their .223 remanufactured load with a 50g vmax will hold 1/2-3/4 inch 100 yard groups out of my factory remington xcr all day long. I wouldnt hesitate to use their offerings in just about any application.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I've shot their 308 ammo and it was very accurate. Good brass for reloading too.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pards,
I finally had a chance to do some accuracy testing. I fired 10 rounds at 25 yards to check for accuracy. It shot pretty well.
Velocity was an average of 1,117 f.p.s. Here is the target......

By comparison, here was the most accurate Cowboy ammo tested in my rifle. Average velocity: 952 f.p.s. .......

Since I am more into side type matches at longer distances, I am always looking for the most accurate load. Most all my shooting is with handloads but I wanted to see what the accuracy was for the different current factory offerings.

And ..... the most accurate .45 Colt factory ammunition tested in my rifle is the ORIGINAL .45 Colt smokeless load as now offered by Winchester. It uses a hollow based round nosed bullet.

I will be updating the .45 Colt Ammunition Tests chart.

w30wcf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.