Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy fellow Marlin owners,

I recently picked up a box of this ammunition to test in my Marlin Cowboy rifle and was wondering if anyone here has tried it and, if so, what your results have been(?).

Thank you,
w30wcf

p.s. I dissected 5 rounds and found they contained an average of 8.0 grs. of smokeless powder, so perhaps the velocity is a bit higher than the other commercial .45 Colt Cowboy cartridge offerings(?). The Brass is Starline and the bullet is the Magma type 250 gr. .452" diameter with a 21 bhn.

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
I've never tried that Black Hills load,I haven't shot a factory loaded round in decades. But... I know several employees of BHA,and I can assure you that the ammo is assembled and inspected with the utmost of care. A good bud of mine works on that production line sometimes,and I know he takes great pride in his work. Hopefully your rifle likes that load,we all know how picky individual rifles can be.
Please post your shooting results. Thanks.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Their site has some info for you. Cowboy Action Calibers | Black Hills Ammunition | American Made Excellence Since 1981 I was under the assumption that it is lite loaded rounds for cowboy action shooting not for hunting. I remember a while back using them to test a 1894 I purchased and they worked fine. The 45 Colt cast bullets I cast are fatter (.454) than the Black Hills you gauged at .452.
Congrats on your Marlin 1894CB, they are a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob,
Thank you for that information. Interesting. I will add the information to the chart referenced in this link after I have had a chance to get to the range....hopefully in the next few days..
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/127032-test-results-45-colt-cowboy-ammunition.html

Lunarphase,
Thank you for your test results. Most all of my shooting is done with reloads and, like yourself, my rifle typically prefers .454+ diameter cast bullets. Interestingly, previous testing of factory ammunition containing .452" swaged softer bullets produced very good results as the chart in the above link shows.

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pards,
I finally had a chance to do some accuracy testing. I fired 10 rounds at 25 yards to check for accuracy. It shot pretty well. Velocity was an average of 1,117 f.p.s. Here is the target......

By comparison, here was the most accurate Cowboy ammo tested in my rifle. Average velocity: 952 f.p.s. .......

Since I am more into side type matches at longer distances, I am always looking for the most accurate load. Most all my shooting is with handloads but I wanted to see what the accuracy was for the different current factory offerings.

And the most accurate .45 Colt factory ammunition tested in my rifle is the ORIGINAL .45 Colt smokeless load as offered by Winchester. It uses a hollow based round nosed bullet.

I will be updating the .45 COlt Ammunition Tests chart.

w30wcf

Reactions: BFPGW and MM22UC
1 - 5 of 5 Posts