Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing one of these for deer season next week....originally I thought of finding one in .50cal but a really nice .45cal has become available...now for the silly question....I just happen to have a TON of bullets in varying diameters that I use in my 45-70's...ranging in weights from 300-630gr's....so......anyone tried using any of these in their muzzle loader????:hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
For the muzzleloader you should use bullets made for it. They are a softer lead so they can grip the rifling. If using a round ball it must be soft enough so the patch can grip the ball. The exception is to use a bullet with a sabot. then you can use regular jacketed rifle bullets.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Thomson Center and Lyman offer the MAXI ball bullet that obturates to fit the rifling. Lyman used to make a .45 Minne ball that expands upon ignition to grip the rifling. I believe LEE may still make one. AC

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks gunscrewguy, I need to look into either a maxi or round ball, i'm thinking maxi, i'd like to be accurate out beyond 100yds :)

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
The .45 round ball will lay out any whitetail and not kick the snot out of you. I am guessing the bore on the TC is .450 with a groove diameter of about .466 so I think a .458 bullet would require some effort to get started. The LEE REAL bullet works good in TC's. A friend made up a rifle in a .45 bullet barrel that shot very well. He made a sizing die out of a section of the barrel and pre-engraved the rifling in the bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Most 45 cal Hawkins use a 440 round ball and 10 thousand patch, 50 cal is 490, 54 430, etc etc. The Italian models some will use 5 thousand larger. I do not think you will get any 45-70 bullet to go in the barrel. I have used the TC maxi in my Senaca and it works very well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a .50 TC . Hawken and my wife shoots a .45 TC Cherokee. We have shot maxi balls in both for many years, and I couldn't begin to tell you which one will kill a deer deader. If he does go anywhere, you won't have a problem bloodtrailing, either. :biggrin:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Oboy. Hawken stories!! A patched round ball will do the trick nicely. I have a .50 TC Hawken given to me new in 1972 (notice that spell checker still does not recognize Hawken as a word). For a couple of years it was the only gun I had, and I used it for everything. I shot it every day. Got to where it was shooting inch and a half five shot groups at 85 yards from a rest. Head shots on small game, blow the lights right out of a deer. My eyeballs were a lot better then...shot my first ever competition with it, a rendezvous in the Sierra foothills. I took second place, in part, I think, because I was the only one wearing only a loincloth (buckskin was hard to come by, and they said ya had to wear skins, and I had this piece of chamois and a boot lace...).

But I digress.

A few years ago I got Green Mountain 20" barrel for it (always liked carbines), faster rifling for elongated balls. I've only tried Buffalo's 505 grainers, but boyoboy do they shoot, hit hard, seems like tons of momentum. So, I'm sold, but I still cast a few round balls whenever I get to casting...about a hundred or so of them in a V8 juice can and a quarter ounce of cannon grade powder makes a nice canister load in the old Napoleon.

·
Registered
849 Posts
hoss, a 45 round ball over 90 grains of FFg will shoot end to end through any deer yer likely to run into. i've kilt 'em with 44's, 45's, 50's and 54's, and ain't ever had one run off with a 45 round ball in it. i can say the same fer most of the others, but--just sayin'. yer milage may differ, but if the rifle yer lookin' at shoots roundball well, it'll be more accurate at long range than any maxi, 'cuz it'll shoot 'em flatter. i'll be packin' a 45 this season with about 65 grains of FFFg under a .015-patched .440 rb ('cuz it shoots straighter with that load than any other) and i ain't gonna shoot further than 100 yards. if i hit what i'm lookin' at, ther'll be backstraps on the table that night! now, if yer huntin' elk, ye may wanta move up to a 50 or a 54, but 45's plenty fer deer.
mind yer topknot!
windy

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Well, if you want to shoot longer distances with a .45 you might find this interesting:

part # 1 paper patching the ML

But I know for a fact that a lead round ball will knock the snot out of deer sized game and won't kick the bejeezus out of your shoulder.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have no problem with a round ball! Most likely my shots will be 150yds and under....I just didn't have much lock with roundball with the .54 I had....but I'll start with that...maybe pick up a few maxi's for comparison and see what the rifle likes. So, FFG? or FFFG? I guess a #11 percussion cap as well?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The rule of thumb is for .45 cal and under use FFFg, however I use FFFg in my 50 with no problem.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
The biggest problem with accuracy in round ball guns is the patching. Patches need to be 100% cotton and heavy enough that they don't shred when fired. You should be able to find your patches around 8 to 15 feet in front of the muzzle and they should be able to be fired again. A spotter standing behind you and looking over your shoulder should be able to see the patch in flight. Any thing less and you are getting blow-by. You will probably need to clean between shots until you get a really sweet ball - patch - lube combo, or maybe just do it. Old jeans make good patching as the additives put in material is all washed out. My .45 will take and shoot just about any .440, .450, .457 you can get started down the barrel, but it really likes a .445 ball and .018 to .022 thick patching. Spit, Murphys Oil Soap, most commercial ML greases all work for range work. You need something that won't dry out and won't rust the bore when left in for a while when hunting. I use a short starter to get the ball the first 5 inches.

Reactions: windy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts