Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspecting some fired bras after cleaning and depriming for defects. It was a mixed collection of 45 auto brass mostly Winchester, Federal, and Remington brass. When inspecting the brass one thing stood out. The Federal brass has a slightly larger flash hole than the other brass.

I thought it might be +P rated brass but it doesn’t say that on the head stamp. Any ideas why Federal brass would have a larger flash hole? Also would this brass be safe to reload with published reloading data? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's Winchester's WinClean that has humogous flash holes. It's supposed to be safe. I don't know that I would worry about a slight difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
oversize flashholes

You state that the brass with oversize flashholes is Federal brand. That would seem to rule out the Winclean connection. Another possibility is that the brass has been altered to fire Speers T-45 plastic bullets. In their #9 manual on page 424 it states that flashholes should be enlarged with a 7/64 inch drill and then the cases distintivly marked to prevent use in regular loads. Both Winchester and speer caution agaist reloading cases with oversized flashholes. Given the cost of 45 brass, I wouldn't want to risk damage to the gun or persons by loading cases with noticeibly larger flasholes. Could it be that someone altered the brass,all be it with different size drill, and it found it's way on to the range??? By the way the Speer T-45 bullets are reuseable plastic bullets that use primers only with no powder for light indoor shooting.

You can always tell a reloader. He picks up the brass before he has seen where the shot went!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: oversize flashholes

sf340 said:
Could it be that someone altered the brass,all be it with different size drill, and it found it's way on to the range???
Some of the brass is from a box of Federal American Eagle. I can trace these back since I fired them. The other Federal brass that I did not fire has the same size flash hole when compared to the American Eagle brass. They have a slightly larger flash hole when compared to the other brands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts