Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Well, it is not going to headspace correctly. Even if you could get it to fire, the results will be various hazards happening very quickly.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Nothing good.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There was someone who did .45 acp conversions on 1894's. Would be a heck of a SBR, suppressed rifle project!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses. I just didn’t know if it would damage any components of the gun if it ever happened by accident.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Not sure how you might do that by accident.

There's a vast difference in appearance between the 45 Colt and the 45 acp. The acp, being much shorter probably wouldn't cycle from the magazine, as the next round would extend from the mag tube, blocking the lifter from rising.

Assuming it was manually inserted into the chamber, it would not headspace. It could enter too far into the chamber and be unreachable by the firing pin. The 45 acp headspaces off the mouth of the rim, and there's nothing inside a 45 Colt (which headspaces off its rim) chamber to stop it from sliding in, all the way to the rifling. It would not fire in that position.

If the acp were to hang back far enough to be reached by the firing pin, it would probably fire almost normally. The base would be supported by the bolt, and the walls are near enough to the acp diameter that the case would probably not rupture, but it could expand enough to ruin the case. The other possibility is that it would make a "squib" and the bullet would get stuck several inches up the barrel. That latter possibility is what happens when you fire a .380 in a 9mm chamber.

Assuming yours was only an academic interest, this should cover the possibilities. Bottom line is, DON'T DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
There was someone who did .45 acp conversions on 1894's. Would be a heck of a SBR, suppressed rifle project!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
That was RPP

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Maybe auto rim??? I would think ACP would not become a bore obstruction.
The Range officer at Roush Lake F&W area range has quite the collection of wrong ammo fired in different guns. Some are down right ugly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure how you might do that by accident.

There's a vast difference in appearance between the 45 Colt and the 45 acp. The acp, being much shorter probably wouldn't cycle from the magazine, as the next round would extend from the mag tube, blocking the lifter from rising.

Assuming it was manually inserted into the chamber, it would not headspace. It could enter too far into the chamber and be unreachable by the firing pin. The 45 acp headspaces off the mouth of the rim, and there's nothing inside a 45 Colt (which headspaces off its rim) chamber to stop it from sliding in, all the way to the rifling. It would not fire in that position.

If the acp were to hang back far enough to be reached by the firing pin, it would probably fire almost normally. The base would be supported by the bolt, and the walls are near enough to the acp diameter that the case would probably not rupture, but it could expand enough to ruin the case. The other possibility is that it would make a "squib" and the bullet would get stuck several inches up the barrel. That latter possibility is what happens when you fire a .380 in a 9mm chamber.

Assuming yours was only an academic interest, this should cover the possibilities. Bottom line is, DON'T DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was only academic. I have long colt ammo ordered and have not actually ever held a round in my hand so I didn’t know what it looked like. Sorry. Very new to this rifle and it’s ammunition. I have 45 auto from a pistol and knew not to put it into the rifle I just didn’t know they looked so different that it wouldn’t be easy to do. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
When I was small kid I would read my dads gun magazines from cover to cover. It was easier to do back then because everything seemed interesting and important. One of my favorites was the letters to the gunsmiths and experts. Someone has made the remark that there is no such thing as a stupid question. I beg to differ, at age 8 I already realized there are people dumber than a sled full of mud. They should never be trusted with anything that may result in others being harmed. That is harsh but true.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Dont even try. Always use the correct cartridge for a given firearm. The danger goes from a ruined firearm to very serious injury.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give the guy a break.

Mrawn88, let me WELCOME you to Marlin Owners!
Ha thanks. Wow you people are pretty harsh. Yes I guess I should have just looked at pictures online and assumed they were the correct thing because everything you see on the internet is true, if you‘re ignorant enough to believe just a picture you see instead of seeking advice from people who would have the knowledge you were seeking. I guess since I didn’t sit around and look at my dads dun magazines and actually went outside as a kid and interacted with others i shouldn’t own a gun. First i never tried to use any other ammunition then what was specified. Ammo is extremely scarce right now “that means insufficient for the demand” so with no ammo around to purchase i guess I could’ve just trusted a picture online that could have been put up by anyone of anything. But what a stupid question to just ask if my gun would be damaged... people who judge the way some of you have should never own a gun... that’s how bad decisions are made and wrong decisions. Having a simple one sided judgmental mind.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Yes we can come across to a new guy as being kind of grumpy.
Has to do with the phase of the moon or lack of coffee or something.
Stick around a while.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You deliberately use different ammunion in a gun not chambered for it ............Then YOU deserve whatever happens with no pity from us.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Unfortunately the 45LC does not have a modern day little brother like the 44Mag-44Spl or 357Mag-38Spl. There is a 45 auto rimmed cartridge but I wouldn't consider using that except for maybe zombies or heathen democrats.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts