Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to reload the first 500 45 acp cartridges tonight. I am planning on using the magtech 230gr round nose bullet, and am wondering how I should crimp thjem?? I am using a standard Lee three die set, with nu factory crimp die, so I was planning on a roll crimp.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Don't know what type of 230 grain you are using ,but it must be tight as it is slammed hard into the chamber.

·
Registered
315 Posts
jrank 45-70 said:
I am going to reload the first 500 45 acp cartridges tonight. I am planning on using the magtech 230gr round nose bullet, and am wondering how I should crimp thjem?? I am using a standard Lee three die set, with nu factory crimp die, so I was planning on a roll crimp.
jrank,
The 45ACP headspaces on the cartridge mouth, the usual recommendation is a TAPER crimp, not a roll which could allow the case to not chamber properly, a dangerous situation IMO.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
121 Posts
A roll crimp will work IF you don't overdo it. That is if enough of the case mouth remains usable to headspace on. The flip side is that such a light crimp may not hold the bullet solidly. Officially the .45 acp does headspace on the case mouth but then why is much factory ammo 0.020"to 0.030" short? The extractor and the slight taper of the case also provides usable headspace,,, sometimes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The best medicine is "preventive medicine." Buy an RCBS .45 ACP Taper Crimp Die and never look back.

L.W.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree that the .45 ACP should be taper crimped, if at all, due to it's headspacing on the case mouth. I personally don't use any crimp when loading jacketed bullets and have never had any problems. If your expander ball fits properly, you will have good bullet pull, and if you just barely bell the case mouths, you won't need to crimp. Good luck with your loads.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I concur with above, TAPER Crimp them firmly for best results.

An overdone roll crimp could bulge out the case a little causing reliability problems and overworking the brass unnecessarily.

Also, if this is your first time, pay attention to overall length of the loaded round. A little too short is usually not a problem, but too long will cause reliability problems in the magazine and in feeding into the chamber. You may have to adjust length for the particular pistol you shoot it in. Generally, the published book OAL's are pretty close and a good starting point.

Have fun.

G

·
I've used the same LEE 3 die set for thousands of rounds with no problems. After sizing, priming, belling, charging pwdr, screw the seating stem down and seat the bullet a bit at a time til the bullet is seated at the depth you want. Then, back the seating stem all the way up. With the shell in the holder and fully up, screw the die down til the crimper contacts the ctg case. Then screw the die down 1/4 turn, crimp and leave lever down, then screw the seating stem firmly on the crimped case. Your die is now adjusted for seating depth, and the crimp. POWDERMAN.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I followed powderman's advice, going to the range later this week, let you know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts