Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
So, I'm kinda new at this reloading stuff. Last couple of years loaded some 45-70, 44mag (rifle) and .45ACP. Always wanted to but never had the time or money so as a result didn't shoot much. Retired, lots of time, so got started. Anyway, I want to load some 45 ACP for plinking (shot a hundred yesterday, sure didn't take long) and looking for less expensive bullets to play with. So far I've only reloaded 200gr XTP and 230 grain FMJ and hollow points, jacketed. Would like to load some cast for cost saving and am not sure what size to get. When loading jacketed I always get .451" Most of the cast I find is .452". Is that size OK?

If it matters I'm shooting a Kimber custom covert 2. Anyway, all advice is welcome. I have 3 reloading manuals and plenty of data I can use. I've just never loaded any cast and looking for info about bullet diameter. Also I only have couple pounds Titegroup and I've got 1000 Winchester large pistol primers (mag or standard). Not looking to buy more stuff except bullets, and a good source to buy would also be a help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I am in the opposite boat plenty of lead bullets, 300 pcs of cleaned and prepped brass, 1000's of primers, no powder, wish you lived closer we could work out a trade. I found some cowboy action lead bullets at the LGS 230 grain round nose in.452. I bought at least 500 of them maybe 1000.

I hate spending the money on the factory ammo when I have everything but the powder!!!!! there is NO pistol powders to be found round here dagnabit!!!!so I broke down and bought another 100 rounds of the winchester bulk white box!!!!!!because my xd with the newly installed PRP trigger job is a sweet shooter.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Well I'm sure the experts will be along shortly but here is what I have learned. You need to slug the barrel to find out the diameter, then go about 2 thousands over.

There is some good info on slugging on here if you do a search

Reactions: salmon30

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Cast bullets generally run a thousandth or so larger than jacketed. They will swage down in your barrel and provide a tight seal to prevent hot gas cutting that can cause leading of the barrel.
If you are in doubt, slug your barrel and buy bullets one or two thousandths over the groove diameter. Many bullet casters will size then to your specification.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
0.452" cast in the .45 ACP is just about right. The shallow rifling of most of the .45 barrels is well suited to shooting cast of this size - - I've never really realized any benefit from trying to go to a larger diameter except for higher pressures and more leading with this cartridge.

A 200 gr SWC cast boolit (sized to 0.452") over a modest charge of Bullseye, Red Dot, VV N-320, or any of the other relatively quick pistol powders, with a load running in the 750 to 800 fps range is a fantastically accurate and mild combination. The brass will land about 2 to 3 feet to your right. A 230 gr RN cast (again, sized to 0.452") over a moderate dose of mid-range burning pistol powder (Unique or Universal both come to mind) to produce a load in the 810 to 840 fps neighborhood puts this cartridge right close to the original loading that was called for by the military.

The .45 ACP is one of those cartridges that goes together with cast bullets like peas and carrots.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
As DWB stated (good to see you back!), .452" would be just fine, and although there are lighter and heavier cast bullets available, it's hard to beat a 200gr SWC for both economy and accuracy in a wide variety of 1911's

Any commercial caster should have a 200 gr SWC, most commonly the H&G 68 design, or a close copy. The H&G 68 was a favorite of the early IPSC crowd and has a beveled base for ease of seating, especially in a progressive, and a nose design that will feed in just about any 1911. Meister Cast Bullets is just one such source. http://www.meisterbullets.com/asccustompages/products.asp?AffID=&categoryid=22&navParent=0&Start=30

Titegroup is a fine choice, there's no need to look for other powders. 4.0 grains will give you right around 750 fps for a mild plinking load and should provide good accuracy.

Roe

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've run thousands of the 230 grain plated bullets through my various .45s without issue. I think they are sized .452", also. The best I have used are made by Berry's, though I've used other brands.

The load I use is with 231/HP38, OAL at 1.265". Runs good in my Ruger, Kimber, and Metro Arms.

The +P loads use VV3N37, but that is with a jacketed bullet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tks for the replies everyone. Looked in my hornady book and found 200gr lead at 4.6 of Titegroup so the 4.0 at 750 sounds good to me. I also paid more attention to the manual and it does list .452 as the size for cast, and .451 for jacketed,,,,,Duhhhhhhh. Anyway, my local Gander and Sheils has boxes of 500 cast .452 for $59. I'll get a box now that I know and try them out. I appreciate the other powders mentioned but not finding any around here anymore.

·
Registered
300 Posts
7.2 of Universal or 4.5 of Clays under a 185gr LSWC. The Clays is a very inexpensive and accurate paper punching load. I've shot pins and plates with the Universal load.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hello,
So, I'm kinda new at this reloading stuff. Last couple of years loaded some 45-70, 44mag (rifle) and .45ACP. Always wanted to but never had the time or money so as a result didn't shoot much. Retired, lots of time, so got started. Anyway, I want to load some 45 ACP for plinking (shot a hundred yesterday, sure didn't take long) and looking for less expensive bullets to play with. So far I've only reloaded 200gr XTP and 230 grain FMJ and hollow points, jacketed. Would like to load some cast for cost saving and am not sure what size to get. When loading jacketed I always get .451" Most of the cast I find is .452". Is that size OK?

If it matters I'm shooting a Kimber custom covert 2. Anyway, all advice is welcome. I have 3 reloading manuals and plenty of data I can use. I've just never loaded any cast and looking for info about bullet diameter. Also I only have couple pounds Titegroup and I've got 1000 Winchester large pistol primers (mag or standard). Not looking to buy more stuff except bullets, and a good source to buy would also be a help. Thanks.
Hey Salmon,

Like the 230 gr LRN, or Truncated Cone, with 3.5 gr Clays. 750 fps or so, from a 5" 1911. Will work either the 16# (stock) or 18.5# recoil spring, with buffer.

Also like the 185 gr LSWC, with 3.8 gr Clays. 775 fps, from a 5" 1911. Requires a 14# recoil spring, with buffer.

With a 200 gr LSWC, use 3.7 gr Clays, for 775 fps, and the 14# spring, with buffer.

Universal Clays is excellent for "full power" loading, with either jacketed or cast bullets.

Here is a great source of load data Basic Manual Download

Been dealing with Penn Bullets for 25+ years, Welcome To Penn Bullets INC. Bob is on line, and ships quick.

Understand Dardas (MO site sponsor) dardas cast bullets understand they make an excellent bullet.

If you use the 230 gr Cor Bon JHP, for "social purposes", highly recommend you use a 230 gr cast bullet for practice. Point of impact will be very close, out to 25 yards, or so.

Happen to have a bit of video, of the 185 gr LSWC, with 3.8 gr Clays, in "action". LOL

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Tks for the replies everyone. Looked in my hornady book and found 200gr lead at 4.6 of Titegroup so the 4.0 at 750 sounds good to me. I also paid more attention to the manual and it does list .452 as the size for cast, and .451 for jacketed,,,,,Duhhhhhhh. Anyway, my local Gander and Sheils has boxes of 500 cast .452 for $59. I'll get a box now that I know and try them out. I appreciate the other powders mentioned but not finding any around here anymore.
If you looking for volume and a good price for cast handgun bullets, you could do a lot worse than this...

dardas cast bullets?

Take a look at their prices, and see how they compare to Gander Mtn. & Scheels - - plus, they used to sponsor this web-site.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I've always loaded cast for my revolvers, but never for my autos... until recently. Even plated bullets are approaching the cost of gen-u-wine jacketed slugs, and if all you are doing is poking paper or bowling pins or something, why not cast?

I stick with Unique, however... and a 230grn bullet, mimicking my FMJ load of 6.5grn Unique, although I'll use a 200grn in a pinch. I even load cast for my 9mm now... will wonders never cease?

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Jacketed bullets in a .45 ACP??Can you do that?
Hey Gater,

Both the 230 gr and 250 gr XTP's are stellar performers in the 45 acp. With a full charge of Universal Clays! (a bit "hard" on the bill fold) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Hey Gater,

Both the 230 gr and 250 gr XTP's are stellar performers in the 45 acp. With a full charge of Universal Clays! (a bit "hard" on the bill fold) LOL

Later, Mark
I know that mark. it's that hard on the wallet part I avoid. I do load JHPs for defensive loads. I am aware some think that unwise.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just purchased 1500 Berry's plated 230gr .45 at Cabela's a couple weeks ago, on sale and the shelves were full (thought I died and went to heaven). Been loading using Winchester Super Field (6.2gr) that I found at a gun show. Saving the Unique for 45colt and .357. Best thing about the 45ACP is there are a whole lot of recipes for different powders. Seems most shotgun and pistol powders have been used successfully.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
my favorite utility load for .45 ACP has always been 7.0 gr. Unique with a 200 gr. cast SWC sized at .452"

probably not the best, but Unique works in all of the pistol / revolver cartridges that I shoot with cast bullets and only have to stock one powder for plink and play loads in them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.