Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got me some new bullets for my 1911 and I've hit a problem. They are 200 SWC lead bullets and I'm using a Lee 4 die set. My problem is the seating die with these bullets. Some will seat fine and some seem like they catch on something and seat below the case mouth. I've used this set on JHP and they work fine but they don't like these SWC's. Do I need a new insert for the die, perhaps flat instead of concaved? Anybody have a problem like this?

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
First question would be whether you have the die properly adjusted. Since most 45 seating dies now taper crimp, ensure that you are not taper crimping and seating in the same step. Taper crimping and seating should be separate steps.

Also ensure the bullets you are using are not oversized, that is, much beyond .453." .452" is most common.

As long as the concavity of the seating stem is not oddly shaped it should not be a problem. I use Lee seating dies with 200 SWC's all the time with no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct on the taper crimp, I forgot about that. Made the adjustment and it works good now. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Make sure the die is clean. Lube and lead shaving can build up inside the seater cup and cause the bullet to seat deeper.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I got me some new bullets for my 1911 and I've hit a problem. They are 200 SWC lead bullets and I'm using a Lee 4 die set. My problem is the seating die with these bullets. Some will seat fine and some seem like they catch on something and seat below the case mouth. I've used this set on JHP and they work fine but they don't like these SWC's. Do I need a new insert for the die, perhaps flat instead of concaved? Anybody have a problem like this?
I use my four die set with .38 caliber lead bullets from Oregon Bullets and Have had no problems.

I know this has no bearing on your problem, but will pass this tip along. One of the tech guys at Lee told me to use the factory crimp die instead of the seating and crimp die for better results even though it's one more step.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Every bullet type seem to have a sweet spot from what I have found I use a Lee three die set. But I have to adjust the seating die evry time I change the bullet type to feed and work reliably

1 - 6 of 6 Posts