Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any favoties? I've got a 230gr. cast bullet mold and about 800 made up, so I am ready to load a few for a new Springfield A-1 1911. Shoots real well with JHP and cast so far. Guess I'll look for some plinking loads first. ( to familiarize myself with the gun. Anybody use W231?

·
Registered
497 Posts
That brass chucker is a far cry from a 480 Ruger. I think you can fit two of them little acp case inside of a 480 empty. :lol:

I've got a Springfield carry gun and a Gold Cup with Aimpoint and comp. Haven't shot either one in a long time. The lack of recoil makes my wrist lonely. I'm currently set up with AA #5, something like 8.0 or 8.5 grs for a 200 gr SWC. I have tried WW231 and remember that it was a decent powder in my Gold Cup. Ventrino had an big cast article in an old issue of Guns & Ammo. Listed a lot of powders and bullet combo's. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I broke down and got a pop-gun. My wife also likes shooting these, so it was easy to talk her into it. Now if I could just figure out a way to keep the brass around. Perhaps a lateral board and a tarp. Looks like Ken Waters liked about any bullet with Hi-Skor 800. His loads have really worked elsewhere...

Maybe I'll get the 480 sometime. For now, though, its gang banger protection. That 454 makes my wrist numb, so I've got to keep it going through the range of motion with something a little tamer. :wink: Thanks Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I haven't shot any lead bullets in my 45acp but I do like the 231 with FMJ 230g bullets. I use AA#5 too. Both shoot realy well in my GI 1911A1.

I can't remember the W231 load I used but I got it from the Winchester Site. I believe the load that shot the best (in my gun) was just under the listed max.

G

·
So this is what you've been up to Dr. A. I was wondering about you not posting as much. 45 ACP eh? Got to admit that I have one too, a S & W 457 that doesn't get fired a lot. I feed it anything cast and it's never failed to feed & fire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use two loads utilizing Win 231 that have worked out well for me. For a 230 grain RNL, I use 5.5 grains of 231 thats gives me 780 fps out of a Govt. Mod. with a Bar-Sto barrel. Useing 6.0 grains with a hard cast 200 grain HG68, I would make IPSC major caliber requirements at around 900 fps out of the same pistol.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I use red dot at 5 grains with a two hundred grain jacketed bullet. I get right at 1000 rounds per pound of powder and they are accurate. Bullseye is another great choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts