Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm think of picking up a Handi in .45-70. Can anyone offer some input as far as accuracy, reliability, stuff like that?
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Many seem to like them; simple, light, recoil OK with factory 300/405's. I'm sure the ones here that have them will chime in.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I had a friend that had one and it shot real well, I shot it a few times and recoil was not bad but I'm not sure what weight bullet or load he was using.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim,
You're right, most of my questions were answered at GBO. However, I like to gather as much info as possible and oftentimes different forums will provide different answers, that's all.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Ok, I thought maybe you needed some more convincing!! ;D

FWIW, I have six H&R 45-70s, 2 Handis, 3 Buff Classics, an SS Ultra Hunter, and a BC that's rechambered to 45-120..... guess I like em a lot! :D

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Six! :eek: Good Lord, I guess you do like them, quite a bit I'd say.
Hopefully before the summer's ove i'll be joining the ranks of Handi owners. ;D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like mine, but the 1895GS Marlin reloads quicker. The Handi is much quicker than a Ruger #1,#3 though.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
There is nothin' wrong with the ol' handys. Good rifle and well priced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GH1;

My first 45/70 was my handi (I traded a 260cal rebuilt Savage to buddy for it) and I think I got a deal. I use open sights and I can hit a 32oz bottle at 100yrds with it, and if you reload you have a lot options.

Good luck

Matt

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good shooting, Matt. Now if I can just sell my electric bass. ::)

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
quickdtoo said:

FWIW, I have six H&R 45-70s, 2 Handis, 3 Buff Classics, an SS Ultra Hunter, and a BC that's rechambered to 45-120..... guess I like em a lot! :D

Tim
Tim

What about the Buffalo's? I am considering a 45-70 to shoot all cast in. Like the thought of a single shot that I can put a creedmore/tang sight on for long range shooting with it. HR looks like a much cheaper alternative to a Sharps. My other option is a Marlin lever, but I really like the SS/LR sight combo. Your thoughts? Thanx

Steve

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
quickdtoo said:

Tim
Sounds like you should be hunting some buffalo. ;)

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Before I got into marlins a mate of mine lent me his a couple of times. It is a very capable rifle. I thought it would be really slow to rechamber rounds, but there is a tecnique an old guy taughtme many years ago. If you are right handed, grab yourself one of those tennis wrist sweat band and have your better half sew a piece of towelling and stitch a few runs across the band to hold three cartridges. Put the ring on your left wrist with bullets facing up your arm, when you go through the cycle of unloading/loading you grab one cartridge with the trigger hand and load. With a bit of practice the subsequent shots will be quite fast. A hella'va lot quicker than trying to explain it. The opposite of course for lefties.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just carry a spare shell between the fingers of my left hand, mine has an ejector so all I need to do is mash the button with my right thumb and stuff one in with my left. You never shift your grip, just snap it shut and cock the hammer.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
And that will work too. I acually like your abridged version best.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Professional hunters in Africa do this and I have seen where they even carry as many as three shells individually between their fingers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good to practice for when I have an extra $5-10K for a double.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I just picked up my synth stock .45-70, YAHOO! Monday I'm going to send it to H&R and have it fitted for the .30-30 barrel and the .50 cal muzzleloader.
Can't wait to try this baby out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts