Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I picked up a Remlin 1895 SSteel 45/70 last year from a local pawn shop. I gave it a few days, did my research, went back and did not see any of the fit/finish/etc problems I was warned about, so I went ahead and bought it. Story was, some guy bought it new, put 11 rounds through it, and sold it.

I happily named her Thumper, as she thumps from both ends. Not too bad for me though. But damn, those bear loads (grin!)

I couldn't seem to sight her in, but no worries, I hated the stock sights, and had some Skinners in mind.

So for my birthday, I got a set of the best Skinner makes, the Skinner Alaskan. Ooo, nice. And a half inch tall blade front sight. That's the ticket. 20151018_180520.jpg
Except I get to the range and this is what I get, at 25 yards, aiming at the TOP of the target! The rear sight is already as low as it will go into the sight body. I have no more adjustment to raise it up. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Your gun is shooting low. To correct, move the rear sight in the direction you want the impact to move on the target. Move the rear sight up to raise the point of impact. Since your rear sight is all the way down, it appears that you have room for adjustment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason, the picture is rotating on here, not on my phone. The orange spots go on the left bottom. So it's shooting dead on, just WAY low.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also checked her out after reading of the cracked receiver problems on this forum. No problems at all there.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Your gun is shooting low. To correct, move the rear sight in the direction you want the impact to move on the target. Move the rear sight up to raise the point of impact. Since your rear sight is all the way down, it appears that you have room for adjustment.
Did you do what Dr Mike said? In your initial statement, "The rear sight is already as low as it will go into the sight body." Move the sight higher not lower. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is shooting her and now the rear sight is as high as it will go. Still low. Sigh. Still rotating for some reason. Rotate right please, still shooting dead low. 1445216101519-1777669567.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
For some reason, the picture is rotating on here, not on my phone. The orange spots go on the left bottom. So it's shooting dead on, just WAY low.
The Skinner front sight they sell with the Guide Gun sight set is meant to be too high, and you file it down to be correct with your specific load. They also sell it in .400, .450 & .500 heights, but in the sight set, they send the tallest for you to adjust.

Bob S.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, I figured that was next. If it seems bass ackwards I figured that was the next step. :) I just ran out of daylight (and shoulder!) Even deer loads hurt after a while on the bench.
If you are working up a handload, do that BEFORE you start filing on the sight. Get the accuracy you want first - then adjust.

If you are using factory ammo - pick the one you are going to stick with.

I would also suggest you raise the rear post 1.5-2 turn up from full low before you file the front sight - this will give you some adjustment up & down once you get it sighted in.

Good luck,
Bob S.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I figured shaving down the height of the front sight was next. Raising the rear seemed bass ackwards to me, so I figured that was my next step, lol. But I ran out of daylight around the time I ran out of shoulder. Even deer loads get old shooting from the bench. So, at least my Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage is ready to go deer hunting. Next I'll get Skinner sights (maybe the express this time for my old 336. At least then I MAY have some better idea of what I'm doing. That's the plan, anyway. :)

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Good advice all.

Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. If it shoots low, you want to raise the point of impact. Raise the rear sight. If it shoots left, you want impact to move to the right. Move the rear sight to the right.

The he front sight moves the opposite way. If your rifle is shooting low, you will need to lower the rear sight to raise the point of impact. Same for left and right.

Again, put the rear sight in the middle of its range before you file the front sight. Give yourself room for adjustment.

And I'd recommend shooting at least a 3 shot group before making each adjustment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I would move the rear sight to the middle then file the front sight. That leaves you some adjustment for different loads!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I made a new front sight blade for my old trapdoor, my club does thir matches at 100 yards and the trapdoor is sighted about a foot and a half high at 100 yards with the rear sight all the way down. I made it a bit longer than absolutly necessary, and filed it for zero at 100 yards with the sight blade all the way down. now at least, I dont blow the top off the target stands anymore.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My SBL is currently at RPP getting some much needed love and attention. Anyway, about two weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Adam telling me that my front sight was not properly indexed (straight up and down with the receiver) which obviously was causing problems with accuracy. I would check to see if you have the same problem. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts