Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What factory loads seem to shoot best.
In your HR.
I really don't want to get back in to reloading
For it. I am not going Buffalo hunting
Or cape Buffalo hunting so I don't need any
Hot loads. I don't think I could drag o Buffalo out of the woods anymore. But there was a time when I most likely though I could.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I have six H&R 45-70 rifles, they don't all like the same factory ammo, some like 405gr Rem, one likes Win 300gr, a couple like Hornady 325gr and Fed 300gr, my best advice is buy what you can find and try it. Before shooting make sure the barrel latch and shelf are clean and dry, and don't clean it after you start shooting, Handis like to be shot dirty.

Tim

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can say I fired my 1871 but that's it.I took it out tostart sighting it in. But i got so po/ed at a another gun that I couldnt sight in . I only shot it once at close range. With just being bore sited it did very well. It was just 7 " low and perfect right & left I gave it a dose of up. And put it away for the next trip.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
My three 45/70s are a H&R Handi, a Buff Classic, and an 1895 Marlin.
None have ever had a store bought round though them.

For the $40 per 20 they are asking I can reload with my Lee Classic loader 200 rounds.

You get more accurate rounds tailored to your rifle.

Go ahead, join the darkside, We have cookies......

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I only handload too, I can't afford to buy ammo at the price it is now, handloads can be much more accurate too!

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well if you gota Lota money to buy um:ahhhhh: .... Try them factory Winchester 300 gr. Ballistic tip :)....

Magnum

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's some fine shooting guys.very nice.
This rifle won't spend that much time on the range
I don't think.? I have all the reloading gear.I just don't have the room I use to have to set it all up.
I am going to shoot it and see what I can do out of the box.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Same here. I used the Remington 405's but just to get the brass. I bought a Lee hand press and some dippers, dies, primers, 300 grain Noslers, Reloader 7 and never looked back. I also used Lee's Reloading manual and used a light crimp, it's going in a Handi after all :). It all fit in a plastic case and I reload at my coffee table. If I used only factory ammo, I would probably use the Rem 405 or Win 300's. At the distances I hunt that's all I need.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Try a box each of whatever 45-70 ammo you can find in your area. Probably won't be more than 3-4 different kinds, anyhow. (Can't find much loaded 45-70 ammo in my area.) When you need more, you're probably going to buy it locally anyway, aren't you?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have 5 barrels for mine including .22 Hornet, .30-30, 410, 12 ga. and .45-70. The throat length in my .45-70 barrel has been increased in order to gain more case capacity. It can fire a 400gr Swift bullet at 2000 fps using Re15, and I have taken an elk with it -

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
H&R increased throat depth on their 45-70 barrels in 2008 as near as I can tell from those I've bought, so you shouldn't have do any throat reaming. Their 45-70s used to have short throats that wouldn't allow most 350-400gr and bigger bullets to be handloaded to the SAAMI COL of 2.55", I throat reamed 3 of mine several years ago to allow the use of longer bullets effectively making it a WWG 457 Magnum, the Ultra Hunter, my third BC barrel and the Talo Trapper all have decent throats tho.

Tim

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts