Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some results of the 45-70 on the range. I only had a few loads to go through, but I think I found what I wanna hunt with this year. I used the Hornady 350gr FP and H4198. Speeds were great and the accuracy was decent.

53gr H4198 (2117-2115-2124-2120)


54gr's (2160-2168-2157-2186)


The Marlin was shooting well and those 350's are thumpers for sure. As always, shooting the 45-70 was a blast and the new scope set up with the rail is excellent. The scope is as low as it can get over the receiver and man, I have it far enough forward, it cannot smash me in the noggin. Love it. Plus, it is fast to the eye and really helps with recoil follow through. Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Scotty, looks like you found a load it likes. Good shoot'n. The 350grs do offer a little better SD over the 300gr. How is the POI do they print close to 300gr BSTs and 300gr PPs? Will you be able to switch over without a re-zero?
Where are the pics with the new scope mounted?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
Looks good, should kill anything in NA and most anywhere else including your shoulder. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DentGent said:
Scotty, looks like you found a load it likes. Good shoot'n. The 350grs do offer a little better SD over the 300gr. How is the POI do they print close to 300gr BSTs and 300gr PPs? Will you be able to switch over without a re-zero?
Where are the pics with the new scope mounted?
They do seem to shoot well. I had to move some clicks to get it centered up on the target. I really didn't pay attention to how much I moved as I did adjustments between groups. I think you have seen the rifle with the XS rail and 2x7 Leupold SABR. Just haven't posted up here with it in awhile. Not to worried about the 300gr bullets as i probably hunt with these 350's this year. I have alot of them and the ones I recovered are excellent.

Recoil is jumpy but the Limbsaver makes it very gentle on the shoulder. Love this rifle. Hard to not wanna hunt with it. Scotty
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,135 Posts
My 300gr ld stacks at bottom the 350 about a inch higher and a 500gr right on top. I don't have it set in stone but hope to do more tests. I have been real lucky 300 and 500 X paves at 125 yds best I know :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
nice looking load. i have some 350 hornady rn to try out along with some 3031 and IMR4198. also the 300grhp and some 400 speers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
I'm loading a 350g NOE mould bullet in a WW case over 46g H4198 and it's very accurate and feels like it's trucking on down the line swiftly, to say the least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mebe007 said:
nice looking load. i have some 350 hornady rn to try out along with some 3031 and IMR4198. also the 300grhp and some 400 speers.
IMR4198 is excellent behind the 400gr Speers in my rifle. They easily shoot into an inch and run about 1850 outta my rifle.

I bet 350gr Hardcasts are awesome all arounders. Fast and a good meplat for poleaxing just about anything. Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,076 Posts
54gr's (2160-2168-2157-2186)
Your Max period, if not slightly over....Buffalo Bore changed there 350 load(Speer) from 2150 fps to 2100 fps and Tim knows his powders.

I have pressure data showing 2183 fps/h-4198 with a better pressure wise 350 grain bullet is way over 40K but under 50K.


Jayco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
jaycocreek said:
Your Max period, if not slightly over....Buffalo Bore changed there 350 load(Speer) from 2150 fps to 2100 fps and Tim knows his powders.

I have pressure data showing 2183 fps/h-4198 with a better pressure wise 350 grain bullet is way over 40K but under 50K.


Jayco.
I agree. All of my manuals show that both the 53gr and 54gr loads exceed published recommended maximum loads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan 444 said:
I agree. All of my manuals show that both the 53gr and 54gr loads exceed published recommended maximum loads.
Just for reference I pulled the data from Hodgdons data. They do use the RN 350 but I worked up pretty slowly. I just didn't post up that data. Not saying it isnt a top end load but it isn't over the top. Each to their that is what hanoading is all about. Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
beretzs said:
Just for reference I pulled the data from Hodgdons data. They do use the RN 350 but I worked up pretty slowly. I just didn't post up that data. Not saying it isnt a top end load but it isn't over the top. Each to their that is what hanoading is all about. Scotty
Scotty,
According to their (Hodgdon) on-line data, which I just checked, you are right! Interesting....their manuals show a lower max. ???

Best,
Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RR, I made sure I posted all of the components in the SUBJECT line, of the first post. Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
beretzs said:
RR, I made sure I posted all of the components in the SUBJECT line, of the first post. Scotty
Well I'll be... ;D (doing too many things at once)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan 444 said:
Scotty,
According to their (Hodgdon) on-line data, which I just checked, you are right! Interesting....their manuals show a lower max. ???

Best,
Dan
No worries Dan, didn't take it wrong or nothing. I also made sure I listed out the components used in the first post, so folks knew what I was loading for the Marlin. I am not saying it isn't hot, but they extract fine and since Hodgdon's stuff is pressure tested, I would say I am okay. I do workup the loads from the bottom, but I do like the full house loads. I know, I know, I have no need for them to be going that fast, but I like them running hard! I do use a chronograph and make sure I am keeping good ES's on my loads. Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ridgerunner665 said:
Well I'll be damned... ;D (doing too many things at once)
No sweat RR. I understand the need and wanted to give as much data as I could.

How is that boy of yours doing? Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
beretzs said:
No sweat RR. I understand the need and wanted to give as much data as I could.

How is that boy of yours doing? Scotty
The oldest one is leaving for Parris Island this Sunday, the little one about the usual...into everything :D

I'm just trying to get home to get some leftovers from the cookout we had for Brock! (118 miles to go)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad he is doing well. Wish him luck in PI. I stepped on the yellow footprints on 2 July 1996. Still remember it pretty clearly! Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a 350gr slug I dug out of the oak block that I use to catch big bullets. It is a little beat up, but still pretty good. The core does come out of the jacket, but I will take it for that kind of penetration and a great price! Scotty



 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top