1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
About that interesting different result...

What is the twist rate of the Sharps?

Hitting the last jug sideways made me wonder about stabilization, I think "me" was using an 1895 with a 1 in 20" twist. The velocities of the 2 loads were quite different...1,500 fps for yours, 1,325 fps for "me's".

Just a thought... :)...for the sake of discussion.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there RR665 -- To the best of my knowledge, the Sharp's has a 1:18 twist. These rifles are built for the 500 to 560 grain bullets. As to this particular bullet and load - none of my 45-70's have ever liked it nor has it shot well enough to pursue further load development. The 350 grain load has performed so well for so long that I have all but abandoned those 500 grain projectiles. These were loaded up just in hopes of hitting a milk jug 25 feet away.

I noticed that in me's video that the last three grease rings still retained grease after he recovered the bullet. Mine was moving somewhat faster and all the grease grooves were empty. Both loads did put a pretty good smack on the first six or eight jugs. There was still a trace of grease in the 350 grainer, but only a trace.

If we can round up some more jugs, I'll give another heavier bullet a shot and we can see how that plays. The 350 grain Laser-Cast bullet has worked very well in lever rifles and carbines as well as the Sharp's.

Hey get some jugs and shoot 'em too!!! Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Wind said:
Hey get some jugs and shoot 'em too!!!
I plan on it soon :)...I'll be using the RD425 at 1,800 fps.

Yeah...I'm not knocking the 350 grain boolits, I like em...less recoil, good trajectory, plenty of "SMACK"... It just struck me funny that those two 500 grain bullets behaved so differently. I thought the Sharps rifles had a faster twist than the Marlins but wasn't sure about it.

Lots of variables to effect the penetration though...temp, angle of impact, bullet deformation, etc., etc....

Speaking of bullet deformation....whats the hardness of that boolit, and the one me used too if you know it?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again RR665 -- Just digging back in my feeble age clouded memory, I think they are a 22BHN. I know you weren't knocking the 350's. I was running about 80 to 120 rounds a day for the last two months practicing for the Quigley. Every time I pulled the trigger I was thankful they worked so well and I wasn't pulling the trigger on a 560 grainer. I would have probably detached both retina's and both ears shooting that many heavies. Best regards. Wind

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Ridgerunner665 I was thinking a higher BHN. If I get a chance I will call and find out what they are :) And yes mine is a 1895 18" barrel ;D
Don't you just love it when a plan come together ;D ;D ;D Thanks Wet Dog for posting links of videos. good deal :)

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there me -- You are right, they are a little harder. Went back and looked it up and they are a 24BHN not 22. I think I was thinking of the 32-40 and 38-55 bullets i"m getting from Dave Jennings which fall into that 22BHN range. I'll try not to think, I'll just weaken the team!! Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wow! That is impressive penetration.

The feller in the second video didn't look like he was itchin to pull the trigger on that 500 grainer (I noticed a little hesitation and a long sigh). I don't blame him at all. I bet that thing will knock the fillings out of your teeth even using that cannon. I can't imagine what it would be like out of my guide gun.

It might have boken a bone if you hadn't been drinking all that milk. ;D

·
Registered
150 Posts
my guess on the "stabilization" of the 500gr that turned sideways in the last jug was that it was perfectly stabilized going into the first and the deformation of the front bullet caused it to become unstable in the later jugs.

The same bullet shot slower didn't mushroom at all and was able to stay stable until it stopped.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Coalsmoke -- You're right about not wanting to get beat up with the heavy bullets!! The long sigh was exhaling most of the air out of my lungs prior to the shot. I also try to shoot between heartbeats on the long range stuff in an effort to keep the rifle stable. It's kinda -- one, anda two, anda BANG thing. Force of habit took over even trying to kill a milk jug at close range.

And zerbe -- That's kinda what Wet Dog and I were thinking. For some reason the nose deformed and the water resistance caused it to veer off course. We saw no indication that it hit anything but jug and water. It might have had a small dent that got compounded after hitting the jug/water. We might try another down the road and see what happens. Could be the same or different results. Might try a somewhat slower load and see how it compares to me's results. That load will hit targets at long range but not with consistently tight groups like the 350 grain load. The 500 grainer was brutal out of a saddle ring carbine and I think the milk aided in bone repairs!!

Best regards. Wind

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Coalsmoke at 1325fps my load is less abuse than factory 300gr loads of 1800fps, but more than 405gr rem. factory :)

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Wind
I noticed that in me's video that the last three grease rings still retained grease after he recovered the bullet.

I would guess bullet has 80% of the lube :) You guy's having to much fun up north ;D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Great videos! Looks like a ton of fun! Scotty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts