Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for a fairly accurate Utility bullet load? Something accurate, not too loud or too much recoil. I have a lee 300 gr mold, a 340, a 405, and soon the new group buy mold. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
mommicked,

I'v been using 2400 alot for goofing off loads in my 45/70.
25 grains under a 405 Rem gave me 1300 fps in my Guide gun.
I believe the book said 20 grains would be around 1000.
Wasn't real quiet but nothing is with that ported barrel. It is a pleasent load to shoot tho & showed promise tho I havent really tried it for groups yet.
Maybe Sunday. :wink:

·
Registered
957 Posts
12 grains of Unique generally gives about as good accuracy as a rifle/bullet combination will. It's good for any of your bullets although you might want to try a grain up and down. My play load uses the Lee 459-405-HB over that and cuts ragged holes at 50 yards. The Lee 457-405-HP does not do as well, but is still good.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'm wantin to paper patch the Lee .452 300 grainer for a cheap plinker. May even go straight lead so I don't have to add any lino($)type. Then I might get out and shoot more. Time to shoot is getting hard to come by.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Over at www.gmdr.com there are several pistol powder loads for rifles.

I tried the RED DOT 45-70 load and I've been loading 20 for each trip to the range just for fun.

405 gr Bullet
11 gr Red Dot
1036 fps in my Marlin 1895 w/22" barrel.
Mild report and recoil
Accurate <1-1/2" groups at 50 yards and <3" @ 100 yards with open sights
Prints ~3" higher and slightly to the left of my 50 yard zero for my IMR 4198 load that scoots along at just under 1400 fps.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wet Dog! I forgot about this thread. The paper patch 300 grs are more accurate than I can explain. They group about 1" for a 5 shot group at 75 yards, scope set on 7x, and using a rest. The velocity is higher than I'd hoped, at 1450 fps chrono, but recoil is pretty mild, and a hoot to shoot! This from a Lee .452 pistol mold($15), paper patched and loaded over Imr 3031. Lube is the exotic marine grade axle grease (first thing I grabbed in the hardware store) :lol: .

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
There was an article about this a while back. It involved using round ball .457/147gr seated/crimped in the end of the casing and just enough powder to keep it subsonic and accurate to about 50 yards. Makes for a good rabbit/squirrel round. Easy to shoot, and not too noisy. Seems like it was about 10gr or so of Unique to set it off, maybe a little more to achieve about 1000fps. Just my opinion, yours could vary...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was neat, but the .358 sabot bullets were even neater. I hadn't even considered that. Seems like Mr. Matthews had a load of two (paper patched?) roundballs loaded in his .45-70. He set up a target to show an unsuspecting friend the accuracy of his new (un named) ammo. When they fired a shot, and went down to look, there were 2 snake eyes in the target, about an inch apart :eek: The friend was astounded. So they tried again. Same result, 2 bullet holes close together, and near the first two. :shock: He finally let his friend off the hook, but never used the load for hunting. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts