Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got a chance to go and fire my first compleated batch of 45/70 today and one of the cases has a big split in it. Everyone of them shot well and nothing felt funny at all. The only thing I can think of is that I would shoot a round and then put another round into the gun and shoot that one and so on and so on. The one that split was in a batch of three that I loaded in the mag tube and it was either the 2nd or 3rd fired of that batch. I'm thinking maybe the recoil pushed the bullet head down a little. Does that seem possible. I had a nice crimp on them although the top of the case did not go all the way to the top of the crimp groove. If it did the cartridge would have been about a 1/16 or a 1/32 of an inch shorter OAL than they should have been. I used brand new never fired remington cases, CCI 200 rifle primers, 40 gr of IMR 4198, 300 gr hornady hollow points. All was done on a lee press with lee dies and a lee factory crimp die set to have a little more grimp than the start up crimp they suggest in the instuctions. Is it possible I had a bad case to begin with or does this look like a pressure issue? Maybe I need more crimp? I don't think I could do more crimp though. All of my cartridges were 2.550 when they were finished so I wondering if this might have just been a fluke. Any help you guys can give me would help.

·
Registered
676 Posts
In my opinion if you had enough pressure to split the case you would have heard and felt the difference when you fired it, which you didn't. Seems to me the case could have been weak to start with keep a close eye on the rest of the cases.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just as a side note I was on the 50 yard range and this load shot really good. Very little recoil and they grouped really well. I was using the original sights and was shooting of the bench resting my arm on the bench to stabilize. I think i will do another batch up and bring my lead sled next time. They were shooting about 2.5 inches right so I want to see if its me or the sights need to be moved a bit.

·
Registered
501 Posts
skmarsh77,

How many did you shoot? I would shoot 100 or so to see if it was just a bad case. If you continue to have the same problem then use brass from a different lot. If you still have the same problem and you are not using hot loads then I would suggest you have your chamber measured (headspace and or chamber cast) by a gunsmith.

It just could be a bad case. I had that happen to me. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I have had that happen with new WW cases too. No biggy, it's just a bad case. Worse that can hppen is a smutty chamber and the case will be blackened becasue of incomplete obturation of the case. You are learing a good lesson in "observation", one of the Keys to being a Handloader, which is a step above being a "Reloader". You did good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi skmarsh77

Looks like we are living in parallel universes. I just noticed that I have a string running as well on exactly the same problem.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,94641.0.html

Hopefully some of the comments on my string will help you.

While my gun is still at the gunsmith, I am 99.9 % convinced that it is simply a case of some bad, brittle brass.

I will post my findings when I have something solid to report. Once I get the gun back from the gunsmith I will be doing a lot of testing with various loads.

I am also going to get a Lyman neck resizer so the brass isn't worked so much once it is fireformed to my gun.

The only disturbing thing in your post is that you were using Remington brass. I thought it would be stronger than the Winchester, but apparently not.

My only comment about your picture is that if you look closely you can see a fine line from the crack to the mouth of the case. That suggests to me that there was a weak spot in the case that caused the rupture.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i'm leaning towards brittle brass myself because when I fired them Nothing felt strange about any of them at all. I only noticed it when I was picking up all the spent cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts