Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and i am looking for some data on reloading the 250 grain bullet in my 45-70. i have reloaded the 300,350,405,420 and 500 brain bullets and was just wondering if anyone else has tried them and if so did they like them or not. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
To be honest I think the 250Gr will be too light for accurate shooting from a 45-70. As the length of the bullet is a bit short for the Diameter of the bore. But then again I also was not too happy with the 300 Gr for the same reason. But when I got to the 350Gr and up bullets the accuracy came together very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
kfish1977; I have use 2400 and trail boss with good results. I am now working up a load with Varget and it looks very promising so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies. as far as powder goes i like the hogdon 4198. for my guide gun and my woman's our favorite load is the 350 jfn hornady on top of a VERY stiff dose of h4198 and we have no problem stopping these big black bears around here. btw i have also had good results with the lil'gun powder for my 454 casull and 44 mag.

Edited by Ridgerunner665: load too hot, please be careful with that load data.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
kfish1977 said:
thanks for all the replies. as far as powder goes i like the hogdon 4198. for my guide gun and my woman's our favorite load is the 350 jfn hornady on top of 54 grains of h4198 and we have no problem stopping these big black bears around here. btw i have also had good results with the lil'gun powder for my 454 casull and 44 mag.
That load is max for Winchester brass, of which I hope you are using. My starline cases can only allow me to go to 51 or possibly 52gr. for the same aquired velocity. Remington even less. Powder capacity is less, but velocity gets up there anyway. Be careful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dr a the brass i use comes from a Friend that shoots a lot of buffalo bore ammo and he gives me the empty brass. he has more money than i do and doesn't have to worry about reloading, must be nice is all i can say. but i have nice surplus of buffalo bore and Winchester brass. but the buffalo brass is better because it uses a small rifle primer and to me that's seems safer in a tube magazine . plus the buffalo brass just seems stronger to me any. thanks have fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
kfish1977 said:
Dr a the brass i use comes from a Friend that shoots a lot of buffalo bore ammo and he gives me the empty brass. he has more money than i do and doesn't have to worry about reloading, must be nice is all i can say. but i have nice surplus of buffalo bore and Winchester brass. but the buffalo brass is better because it uses a small rifle primer and to me that's seems safer in a tube magazine . plus the buffalo brass just seems stronger to me any. thanks have fun
Buffalo Bore uses Starline brass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Dr. A said:
That load is max for Winchester brass, of which I hope you are using. My starline cases can only allow me to go to 51 or possibly 52gr. for the same aquired velocity. Remington even less. Powder capacity is less, but velocity gets up there anyway. Be careful!
Ahh, 52 grains, ouch!! :eek: :eek: I like IMR 4198 and use it with 300grn cast up to 48 grains, very nice. 43 grains is a nice target load for me. Also loaded 51 grains with 300grn Hornady XTP's. Always use Starline. I'll try 51/52 grains when I'm lookin' for a 'hoot'! ;D ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
Dr. A said:
That load was a clear over pressure load in Starline brass. ::)
I agree...likely at least 48,000 psi (~46,000 cup)...A Ruger load!

Its a little too much....I wouldn't shoot it, that is one of those loads that may be fine for several rounds then blow everything to bits.

Pushing the limits a little too closely for me.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,135 Posts
I've seen a load to far. A young guy I know screwed up doesn't know or admit he knows. He blew up his stainless 45-70 a 8" rip down the barrel the receiver looked like a sardine can peeled 1/2 way back. His left hand loss 2 fingers to the 1st joint. His thumb was cut deep 3" long and the palm of his hand looked like charred hamburger a very costly mistake. Humbling is probably not the right word.
Reloading is a science and it fascinates me. How powder burns so different In a instant and yet so consistent. How fast pressure builds to dangerous levels.... I 'am thank full there is data to guide me because I don't care to experience failure :) reloading is great.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top