Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 1980 1895SS (Marked SS but is blued) in this caliber. I've been told recoil is either a mule kick or "not bad at all". I have tendenitous in both shoulders but would love to have this gun!

Also, it seems a lot of chances of blowing up the gun if reloaded incorrectly (I reload but only pistol). Besides the obvious "be careful, go slow and double check, any issues I'd need to be aware of (other than different brass capacities - I read the sticky).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just get it, if you don't like it you can always sell it. Not like it's underwear or something

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told it is in 1998 model year and in 98% with Skinner fully adjustable rear peep sight, with Fiber Optic front sight. $500 to my FFL with a $35 transfer fee.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Since you don't want recoil....use a Lyman loading manual and you'll never have to worry about blowing anything up or recoil. Lyman only loads it to 28,000 CUP...thats just getting started ;)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Any load that could even think about damaging the barrel would be well past punishing on your shoulders. Marlins are safe to 40,000 CUP and you would be loading below 28000 as said, probably 23000.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
When that gun was made, they didn't make them in stainless. When the stainless guns came out, they dropped the SS to avoid confusion and just called it the 1895.

There are good loads made using light charges of pistol powders or Trail Boss that don't have much recoil at all. That, and a good recoil pad like a Pachmayr Decelerator and you won't feel a thing when pull that trigger.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Been diagnosed with Lupus so any shooting at all these days can be painful. I picked up a STBL last year and can shoot it with even moderate loads with little push or felt recoil. Even the wife enjoyed shooting it and she hates shooting my 1895 CB because it can kick like a mule.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Good soft load 30grs H4198 with 405gr Meister cast. Easy on shoulder and accurate also.

"fk"

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guy sold it while I was sending him a message I wanted it, so I guess this thread is as good as done.
Thanks for all the info!
LHS

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:
Since you don't want recoil....use a Lyman loading manual and you'll never have to worry about blowing anything up or recoil. Lyman only loads it to 28,000 CUP...thats just getting started ;)
Exactly what I was thinking. The normal factory loads and trapdoor loads are real easy on the shoulder.

·
Registered
227 Posts
lefthandshooter said:
Guy sold it while I was sending him a message I wanted it, so I guess this thread is as good as done.
Thanks for all the info!
Don't give up on the 45-70. That sounds like it was a really good deal you had a line on, but it wasn't unheard of. You can find another deal like that if you keep looking.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As far as recoil goes, being a skinny guy with hardly any muscle mass over my shoulder bones, I am a recoil p*ssy, so I use a strap-on leather shoulder pad when at the range. It takes all the bite out of the recoil from my 1895 STP and prevents the bruising I get when wearing just a tee shirt and no pad.

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-shooting-vests-shell-bags-cabelas-recoil-pad-hand-3.shtml

I also own a Browning 1885 45/70 with the pretty (and punishing) curved steel butt plate. I won't shoot anything through that rifle that is more intense than cowboy loads.

Get a 45/70, you will enjoy it with a little padding.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Might try a 'Limb-Saver' recoil pad from Midway USA.
Take off the butt plate, measure length/width and check their chart.
The Limb-Saver for Rem700 #10112 fit my Marlin 1895 LTD IV perfectly.
Best recoil pad I've found so far... good luck, stay safe...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anbody have any info on the recoil versus a Marlin 444?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Same or less depending on the load. You can load 45/70 all the way down to Cowboy loads.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ggeilman said:
Same or less depending on the load. You can load 45/70 all the way down to Cowboy loads.
Can the same be done to the 444?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts