Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, do any of you just partitally resize your brass? That's not something I've ever done with a "straight" walled case. I was thinking that as long as the case neck area that touches the bullet was resized there wouldn't really be a need to resize the entire case.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I have always full length resized my 45-70. When I was starting to reload (seems like it's about a million years ago) I was told that all straight walled cases were to be FL resized and bottle beck cases can be either FL or neck sized.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I just posted this on Facebook...I copied and pasted it here.

As you read this, bear in mind that ALL of my loads are right up near the full 40,000 CUP pressure limit...I size new brass, then trim it to 2.095"...after firing those hot loads in a Marlin 1895 the brass measures 2.085"...resize it, and its back to 2.095". I prefer full length sizing because it removes the PRE at the bottom of the brass, which greatly improves feeding.

·
Registered
522 Posts
TNWoodsman said:
Just curious, do any of you just partitally resize your brass? That's not something I've ever done with a "straight" walled case. I was thinking that as long as the case neck area that touches the bullet was resized there wouldn't really be a need to resize the entire case.
I have tried it for 45/70 and it works, in the idea that it will eliminate some case stretch, however I did not see any real benefits. I discontinued it quite a while back as I load for a number of different rifles and just like to keep all of the reloads usable in all of the rifles.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yup. I only partially re-size. I have two different 45-70s and a set of dies set up for each rifle.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I do it for my WW 375 brass, I can't see the need for FL resizing every time.

There was a discussion here awhile back about neck-sizing 45LC brass, for owners of guns with oversized chambers (like many Marlins) it seems to help with brass life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts