Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I really don't know how to approach this, but sometimes I'm feeling intrigued by the idea of creating a wildcat caliber.

My idea was necking down a .45-70 case to .375 or some other caliber ( e.g. .405 ) .

Most important, it would need to be on an 1895 frame, preferably a Guide Gun.

What do you guys think ?

Pete

·
Registered
194 Posts
The .375 Winchester came and gone. I myself like the 45-70/ Marlin for it's .458 bullet. This is just me and others may very well be open to it. :)

Domenic

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Domenic.

I wanted to create a wildcat caliber, and I don't expect too many folks to pick up on that.

As things go with most wildcats, if they are not successful they go the way of the dodo bird.

Pete

·
Registered
613 Posts
My feeling is why mess up a great gun, in my opinion it would be hard to improve on what you can do with a 45-70!!!! :) ;) :D ;D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Why not just get a 338, if you want something flatter shooting. Or I suppose you could try a 376 Steyr Short which is designed to be used in Marlins, 220gr @ 2600fps for 3303flbs. Or the 416 Barnes if you really want something based of a 45-70

·
Registered
550 Posts
The steyr short is basically the 338MX necked up to 375. I'm thinking a 220gr @2600fps is pushing things a bit. I don't think that guy ever really built the steyr short.

My 375 JCC has more capacity(71gr/water) than the steyr short & 2550fps with the 220 at 45000psi is the prediction.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the idea works for you try it . Imagine where the shooting world would be if the 250 savage case had never been necked to .224 caliber . Or the aught six case had never been fitted to twenty-five caliber bullets . Who cares if someone else doesn't approve of your rifle and ammo selection , you earned the money to pay for it so enjoy it .

Jack

·
Registered
105 Posts
black coyote said:
I have often had the same thoughts. However, I was thinking of a .458 down to .416. Still a 400gr. bullet, but a little slimmer.
Yeah, I've had similar ideas too. It's neat to think about, but very expensive to actually do. I've often wondered, what would a .38-56 do if loaded to about 44,000 PSI? Hornady makes some dandy bullets in .375 that should do nicely in the .38-56 case. Or, how about a .40-65 case using the Hornady 300 grain bullet designed for the .405 Winchester? Similar velocities should be attainable at about 44,000 PSI, eh? Are those wildcats, or improved versions? Don't know, but they both would work fine in the Marlin 1895 action. Do they have any advantages over the .45-70? Perhaps... They'd shoot a little flatter, and a lot flatter if Hornady would make Leverevolution gummy-points in .375 and .412 calibers. Oh, and brass wouldn't be any problem at all either because they both can be easily made from necked-down .45-70 brass.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
moonbat60 Yep I new it someone (mart) not naming any names ;D thinking wild cat thoughts started a stampede ;) Oh yea a wild seed that re sparked that wild hair in some people to have a one of a kind master piece and expression of creativity :)
Well If you chamber a barrel and put it on that 45-70 with a 375 cal. bullet You would have 2 barrels and I would think gun would feed it well but I ain't no expert. With dies probably under $500 and yours to love. That sounds reasonable to me. :)
Just don't paint it pink and call it Flo Ok!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I always wanted to create something special, unique, ..................

I also had thoughts about creating an FN FAL in .338 Federal or .358 Winchester.

Maybe I'll just go the easy route and find me a Marlin in .338 Marlin Express and have it chopped to Guide Gun specs.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
moonbat60 Have you come to the age that something unusual would be neat and you kinda know what you want but you wish you would have got it 20 yrs ago :)
Well do it because you want it,can get it,you deserve it...and 5 yrs from now it will still be a want and all that will have changed is your age ;D But don't blame me either way. Keep life fun :)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hehehe, me. ;D

We are all growing older..............and yeah, I wanted to create my very own caliber and ammo.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 44 ultramag

While I've never done any or have the equipment to do so , I would like to see what a 45/90 would do keeping thw length and necking it down to and using the Hornady 444ftx bullet at 265gr and maybe move it up to 350gr if hoenady would make the ftx in that caliber and weight .
Any thoughts from those of you with experience in doing any type of wildcat ?

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Am trying to remember... Didn't somebody here a few years ago come up with a ".400 Marlin" or something along those lines in a similar project?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts