Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but couldn't find any info on 45-70 coated bullets. I have been using S&S coated bullets in other calibers and really like the performance. The S&S guys are in my local area and will call them in the morning to see if they will coat some 45-70 for me?

Question is does anyone know of a current manufacture that is coating 45-70, have used coated, performance, ect....

I know I can buy the kit and do it myself but would prefer to buy them already made up.

Thanks, Troy

·
Registered
255 Posts
I looked at the S&S website. This polymer coating sounds interesting and I'm sure works well. What I don't understand is what the "coating" is. Don't understand how the coating wouldn't scrape off within the first inch after firing.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There’s several types of coatings, with some available for do yourself. Many are finding the powder coatings , being a baked on coating, from harbor freight and some other suppliers is working very well. Even holding up to being resized after coating. So might consider doing your own.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was talking to Doc Holliday last Friday about powder coating cast bullets.
I can see powder coating holding up. Polymer? I'm having a tough time understanding that. I think of polymers as a much softer material. Think space age plastic or ????
The S&S website cautions about not flaring your brass enough and experiencing coating removal. Now, I know shaving can occur on just about any bullet material if we don't do our proper prep work.
I just want to know what they use. I deal in a business that uses powder coatings and paints. I know the "coating" business is changing so fast, it's hard to keep up with. There are coatings that "to the untrained eye" mimic chrome. Don't know how tough it is, but it looks nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know exactly what the coating is either. It's polymer base that needs to be baked after it's applied.
I have used them in several other calibers without out any leading or the coating coming off. I have pushed the 357 to the max loading with the coated bullet without any issues. The coating will scratch but does not come off in the barrel. I have taken a bullet and beat it flat, the coating stays on. They do have a funny odor when fired in an enclosed area, kinda like burnt electrical wires?
S&S said they planed on running some in a few weeks and to check back. They had previously made thousands for the black hills ammo company.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Most bullet makers have found that beyond the marketing hype, there is no real advantage to all the coating processes. I have tried the moly coatings, polymer coatings, and others to no real improvement and apparently, other shooters have also found little improvement because sales have drop to near zero with experienced shooters.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Most bullet makers have found that beyond the marketing hype, there is no real advantage to all the coating processes. I have tried the moly coatings, polymer coatings, and others to no real improvement and apparently, other shooters have also found little improvement because sales have drop to near zero with experienced shooters.
It may be the latest, greatest thing, time will tell. I have seen the fads come and go over the years, a few years ago moly coatings were all the rage. I would agree that most all of those other coatings did not have enough of a benefit to make them worthwhile. However the Australians have been using this for years and from what I can tell more than any other type of bullet. The advantage to polymer bullet is that you can shoot them like a jacketed bullet at a lead price without leading issues.
I'm not sure your statement about sales dropped to zero should include the polymer coated bullets. I participate in many of the "gun games" and some at a high level. Between the various disciplines I shoot thousands of rounds a year. I only say this because I think I have a pretty good picture of what the experienced and high volume shooters are using. Over the last couple of years I have seen an overwhelming number of shooters now using the polymer bullets. The last USPSA and IDPA shoots I attended I would estimate about 30% were using polymer coated bullets. S&S casting can't keep up with the demand for polymer bullets, they have even discussed only offering coated due to the overwhelming demand.

It still maybe the latest fad but it's defiantly growing faster than supply can keep up at this time.

T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I powder coat my .45acp 475 and .45-70 bullets. In my experience with the 45-70 has been higher velocities less smoke zero leading and better accuracy. Fad or not for me it's with the effort to powder coat.YMMV

·
Registered
143 Posts
Iv,e been hearing alot of good things about the the inexpensive Harbor Freight deal you buy a machine and powder coat the slugs I,m gonna get a 25%off coupon out and try it out I believe The powder goes for around 6-7 bucks a LB I figure if your set up right you do a $hitload -o-bullets with a powder that should go a pretty long way or coat a whole bunch-o-bullets
DOGG!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Iv,e been hearing alot of good things about the the inexpensive Harbor Freight deal you buy a machine and powder coat the slugs I,m gonna get a 25%off coupon out and try it out I believe The powder goes for around 6-7 bucks a LB I figure if your set up right you do a $hitload -o-bullets with a powder that should go a pretty long way or coat a whole bunch-o-bullets
DOGG!!!
Looks like Bayou Bullets is selling the coating, might be worth checking out for those of you that coat your own.

We make bullets for competition shooters as well as reloading enthusiast. Our bullets are coated with a unique dry lube formula provided by J&M Specialty Products P/L in Australia. This non-toxic coating, totally encapsulates the bullet and virtually eliminates the smoke and leading normally associated with traditional cast bullets. Works well in polygonal rifled barrels. Clean hands, clean guns, clean loading dies, clean air and they feed great through bullet feeders. Bayou Bullets offers this coating for sale to fellow bullet casters.
E-mail or call us for details.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts