Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten really lucky with the Gov't these past two weeks, with these two really nice rifles.

The first is a Marlin LTD IV. Had recently bought a few nice Smiths off a local guy that weren't really my speed, and got offered this CB on trade for a nice Model 36. Think I got the better end on that one :biggrin:

The second is a deal I passed on that came back to grace my gun safe. Over the summer a friend of a friend had this for sale along with a really nice bolt rifle for a pretty insanely low price. He was trying to fund the purchase of a 45-90 Shiloh Sharps, and all he needed was his asking price. After letting a friend know he went and bought both. Last week he called and said he was returning the favor on this one because he was in need of new tires, come get it and bring $400.

When we met I realized that the original seller had included a lot of components along with the rifle, which is a Taylor's Sharp clone. The sight box is marked 'DP' that I'm assuming came with the rifle from Italy, it will let me get my feet wet before deciding to upgrade it or not. After seeing all the extras I told my friend I owed him one :)

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Hey Robert,

Run, don't walk, run, down to the corner store, and get a lottery ticket!

What a fine pair of 45/70's. With components.

Good for you! (forecast a bit of dinger ringing fun) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Robert,

Run, don't walk, run, down to the corner store, and get a lottery ticket!

What a fine pair of 45/70's. With components.

Good for you! (forecast a bit of dinger ringing fun) LOL

Later, Mark
Thought about that Mark, but that takes away from the gun fund :)

Headed to the farm before the rain hits to try and enjoy some stress relief. I'll bet that tang sight bottoms out at 150-200 yards! Never shot a front sight like this before so it should be interesting.

Reactions: msharley

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Are you sure you didn't have a mask and a gun to use as leverage on those deals?

I doubt I would see anything close to that where I live.

Enjoy your finds!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
:biggrin:Somebody's getting ready to have a BIG TIME!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Eaglestroker, all I can say is GTM. Take care, John.

Reactions: Eaglestroker

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The DP on the sight might refer to David Pederisoli (sp.?) of Pederisoli firearms-----just a hunch.

Steve
Hey Steve, that was what I thought, and why I figured it came from Italy.

Got the two out today but didn't get to invest much time into them. The tang shoots too high for 100 yards, but was about 18" low at 200. I experienced something I never have before in an bullet tumble.

The LTD shot great. This is my first attempt at 200 yards, with 6 rds. First two were way high, and I sort of walked it in.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Robert--

Key holing ? Bullets undersized ? Slug the barrel--go 1-2 thousands over slug dia. and try again--I'm pretty sure you'll like the outcome. Good Luck.

Steve

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice pick up on the pair. If you're just trying to group the sharps at 100yds flip the tang sight down and use the standard rear sights. Congrats on a great deal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ES,
I think the King moved a little further south from Memphis, He is now in Southaven! You da man, great deal on both of them. I doubt the Model 36 cost anywhere near what the LTD should have been...Great trade, UP that is. Memphis Sport Shooting Association has a 600 yard range you need to visit.

Enjoy them they are beautiful.
Ken CO

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Robert--

Key holing ? Bullets undersized ? Slug the barrel--go 1-2 thousands over slug dia. and try again--I'm pretty sure you'll like the outcome. Good Luck.

Steve
Steve, I'm not sure if it is undersized, the load, or a fluke. Going to slug it and go from there! I hope I can use some of all that lead I got with it!

Nice pick up on the pair. If you're just trying to group the sharps at 100yds flip the tang sight down and use the standard rear sights. Congrats on a great deal.
We did try that as well, I keep trying to convert my good friend Scott from the tacti-cool. He did enjoy the black powder load :)

'
ES,
I think the King moved a little further south from Memphis, He is now in Southaven! You da man, great deal on both of them. I doubt the Model 36 cost anywhere near what the LTD should have been...Great trade, UP that is. Memphis Sport Shooting Association has a 600 yard range you need to visit.

Enjoy them they are beautiful.
Ken CO
Morning Ken! The 36 was a 3" nickel ANIB, 'bout a $700 gun. It wasn't a cheap 36 but still well under LTD going rate :) The downside to MSSA for me is the drive, for the money I could clear some timber and stretch it to 500 without much effort. Thanks for the kind words!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Robert i had a rifle that key holed for no good reason, i got the lead remover strips out and scrubbed her good. It was a used gun and you are never sure what took place before you got it. Any way that fixed the problem never key hold after that. eh

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Robert i had a rifle that key holed for no good reason, i got the lead remover strips out and scrubbed her good. It was a used gun and you are never sure what took place before you got it. Any way that fixed the problem never key hold after that. eh
This was my thought. I broke it down and instantly had the smell of black powder. More so than it should have had from the 4 reloads of mine that were shot. I'll finish cleaning it and shoot it again before I go any further.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts