Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,,,,,,,some of the threads were lost in the crash.

I have a new .45/70 HandiRifle. Been playing with a few loads and bullets. Nothing really spectacular developed yet although some very good, and some surprisingly bad. Lets hear some chatter from you guys with .45/70 NEF's and see what develops.

So far I've had good results with the 405gr Lee cast bullet at starting loads up thru medium power. OK results with 300 JHP throughout the range from starting loads all the way up. 340 Lee cast has been very poor so far much to my surprise.

IMR4198, H4198, RL7, 777 are the powders I've used so far. 777 was not working well in my rifle at all with 405 grainers. IMR4198 has produced the best groups so far with all three bullets I've used. H4198 is very close to the IMR4198 in group sizes. RL7 surprised me at just how bad the groups were. None grouped tighter than 10 inches at 50 from starting loads up to the max listed. The velocities were very high. It was used with the 340 Lee cast. Maybe it's just the bullet/powder combination.

The rifle is very neat and compact and I think it will make a good big bore deer hunting partner. I have fired some groups with it that were 1.5 inches or less with the medium power loads with the 405 Lee and the 300 JHP. I want to find a full power load that groups tight too.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I've been working up a load for my scoped Handi using H4198 and 300gr nosler partitions. I'm up to 54.5grs so far, it's shooting 1¼" groups at 100yds, ran out of bullets, got to get another box so I can see what she'll do for me. So far it looks encouraging, the last couple grains of change have shown the most accuracy improvement so far, so I'm hopefully approaching the sweet spot, the recoil is getting to be real noticeable!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a pretty good load. Have you chronographed it? I have a fresh pound of H4198 too. I bought some cheap 300 grain JHP's from Midway in their bulk packaging. They are sold as Remington's brand. Those were the 300 JHP's I tested so far. I was surprised at the fact that they all grouped tight on the target from the starting load on up to the max listed. only the POI shifted as the velocity increased. They were all about 1.5 inches for each four shot group.

I have a Weaver 1-3X varible mounted on my Handi.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Hope to set up the chrono next week, gonna head up in the hills for some private shooting on timber land where setting up the chrono isn't such a hassle with other shooters around.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took my NEF .45/70 out for a hunt today. No deer but it sure was fun carrying my handi-rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The load I took out today was 43 grains of IMR 4198 and 300 JHP. I'm getting an average of just over 1800 FPS and it's set for 3" high at 100. It should do the trick on a deer. It's a very mild load to shoot. I'll be taking it out again Tuesday after I drop the kids off at school.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using 59 grs. of IMR 3031 in mine and its doing 1 1/2" at 100 yds. This is a near max load,and I'm guessing about 2100 fps with the 300 gr. bullets. I've got better groups with IMR 4198,but this is the load I've settled on for my hunting load. Digger

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use 50 grs. 3031 with a Rem. 405 1.5 to 1.75 inches 5 shots at 100 yds
cheaper than most 100 bullets cost about what 50 of other brands do

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I forgot about this thread!! I chrono'd my 300gr Nosler partition load, 56.2 gr of H4198 gives me 2425fps and 1" or less at 100yds.

Tim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for sharing your fun and findings. I've been away for a while due to back surgery. I didn't get to do much hunting or shooting this past fall. I did kill a couple of deer with my NEF .45/70. one with the 300JHP and one with the 405 grain Lee cast bullet. My recovery has been rather slow. I think I should be doing much better than I am. My surgery was on December 28th. Just now am I getting able to walk any distance and be up on my feet for any length of time. before the surgery, the pain kept me from my usual full season of hunting and shooting. Looking forward to experimenting more with this rifle and load combinations.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quick, I bet at 2425 fps. the recoil is noticable :shock: I'm shooting just the 300 coreloks and it gets my attention. :lol: As soon as I order some dies for it I want to work up some loads for it. Hope you don't mind if I ask you for info!
tommy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quick, I bet at 2425 fps. the recoil is noticable :shock: I'm shooting just the 300 coreloks and it gets my attention. :lol: As soon as I order some dies for it I want to work up some loads for it. Hope you don't mind if I ask you for info!
tommy

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK guys, here is my favorite, light, easy recoiling, deer killing, and ACCURATE 45-70 loading. A Hornady 350 grain RNFP bullet ahead of 28.0 grains of 2400. Cloverleafs at 100 yards when you do your part and no recoil to complain about. I would think a HP would do well also....<><.... :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quick, on those 2425 fps, did your brass suffer or was there any noticable defects. Was there any stuck cases? I've just heard that H 4198 will be going away ans IMR 4198 will stay!
tommy

·
Registered
664 Posts
FWIW: I too have't had too much luck with the Lee 340FN at over 1,450fps.

I think it is a matter of the small size of the lube grooves not allowing for enough lube.
I've had the same "issue" with the 405gr FN as well.
They are also a bit on the small side at .457-.458".

My best luck has been with the 405gr .459 FN-hollow base.
The lube grooves are much wider and deeper, and bullet comes from mould at over .460".

Sized and lubed to .459" with SPG lube, I'm gettin amazing accuracy.

Under 53.5gr of IMR4064, (older IMR manual lists 55.0gr w/405gr Jacketed bullet as max at 24,000cup) I'm getting 1,775-1,800fps from 18.5" GuideGun.
Groups are running 1.5-2.5" at 100yds w/reciever sights.

Quite enough for me.
Recoil is "brutal" from my NEF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts