Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that many of you Marlin owners also own other brands. I am wondering if any of you have used the Lever Evolution ammo or bullets in a Ruger #1? How was your accuracy. I have a new 1S with the 26" barrel. I went out to our local Cabela's store yesterday because, even though pricey, they usually have a good selection of bullets. All they had were the 325 grain LE and Remington 405CL in regular bullets and Laser Cast 400 (may have been 405.) Those are hard as nails and a softer alloy would be my choice. I bought a box of LE bullets and 100 pieces of Winchester brass. I am not going to try to make a .458 out of the rifle, just a good all round load for the pig jihad. I have on hand some loads with Nosler 300 Partitions and some factory 405s to try. The old standby Remington is a good bullet, but I wanted something a little lighter and faster. Thanks for any feedback. Jack

Reactions: whapmaster

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
My Ruger has shot virtually everything I put in it with gusto. When scoped, its only problem is a quick reload. Its really not difficult,but just slower than a Handi rifle, and especially slower than the Marlin. I too was cynical of lazercast, as i've cast my own for years. With my current shortage of lead I bought some, and they work very well. Maybe I will hunt with my ruger this year.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Accuracy is good with the 325gr FTX bullets in my Ruger No.1 .45-70. Expect MOA accuracy at 100 yards.

That bullet can be driven up to 2500fps MV in the No.1 (and probably up to 2800fps MV in the .458 Win. mag. :eek:).

Ruger No.1 .45-70

Remington 798 .458 Win. mag.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
slamfire said:
Accuracy is good with the 325gr FTX bullets in my Ruger No.1 .45-70. Expect MOA accuracy at 100 yards.
That bullet can be driven up to 2500fps MV in the No.1 (and probably up to 2800fps MV in the .458 Win. mag. :eek:).
Just because it can doesn't mean it should. I'd be real careful about using it on edible game under 100 yards at that velocity, or it could get downright messy! :eek:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A Ruger No.1 .45-70 with a 26" barrel should launch the 325gr FTX bullet about a 100fps faster than one with a 22" barrel, a maximum MV of about 2600fps. :eek: 8).

I just acquired a new 1895XLR (24" barrel, shown here with a Burris 4x Timberline scope) and I'm eager to see how much faster I can launch a 500gr bullet compared to my 1895GS (18-1/2" barrel, 1540fps MV). ;D

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
With my limited experience of eating sized critter taking with the 45/70, and unless you don't cast and don't want to buy cast boolits, I wonder why?

I am totaly impressed with the awesome game taking ability of the 45/70 with cast boolits from my RUGER #1s.

AS indicated above, I would expect the Hornady bullet to be very distructive and a potential meat distroyer at the higher velocities you are talking about.

In such a great cast boolit gun as the 45/70, I really like the do it myself factor of making and shooting my own boolits for hunting.

I did much reading before starting down this path, and everything I have read about the game taking ability of large cast boolits with a big meplat is true.

I proved it to myself, again on Aug 1st by taking a very large and barren cow elk. WOW!

Looking forward to the two deer tags I have for October and November this year.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've tried commercially prepared cast bullets in both my Marlin and Ruger .45-70's. Accuracy ranged anywhere from poor to dismal. :( However, in my Handi-Rifle .45-70, cast bullet accuracy is very good. ???

Difficult to find time to do bullet casting, there being so many other pursuits. Did another kind of casting today. 8)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I intend to order some softer lead bullets. I think (may be wrong) that the Lasercast is too hard. Might as well be using a solid. I am thinking more along the lines of 20 or 30 to one. I may even use some paper patched bullets in pure lead. They decimated the buffalo herds with those and I suspect they will still work. As I said, I do not intend to try to duplicate the .458. just a pig load. On another forum, a gentleman said that he took all the African plains game with full penetration with 300 grain Nosler Partitions at 1950. I have some of that loaded and ready to go. I thought the 325 LEs would shoot a little flatter at around 2000. Thamks to all and good day, jack

·
Registered
727 Posts
I too have ruger #1 in 45-70. I used a Barnes 300 gr at 2400 fps too take a black bear this spring. The bullet was found under the skin of right hip after entering left front shoulder. Marlin would have worked as well at 2200 fps. I was very pleased with the load.
JIM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts