Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have 300 grain Hornaday flat nose hollow points. I have imr 3031 powder and H4895. How many grains do you use when reloading with these components? I have a speer reloading manual and I'm sure I'll be safe if I use their data because the bullets are the same type and weight. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance....

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
53 grains of 3031 is the perfect load, this is the elmer keith load, also talked about in paul mathews books 40 yrs with the 45-70. give it a whirl, it does tend to be a pretty stout load but ought to be exactly what you are looking for......................I can shoot the 400 gr speer jacketd moa at 100 yds all day long with that load. i wish i could find some 300 gr HP.

·
Registered
653 Posts
53 grains of 3031 is the perfect load, this is the elmer keith load, also talked about in paul mathews books 40 yrs with the 45-70. give it a whirl, it does tend to be a pretty stout load but ought to be exactly what you are looking for......................I can shoot the 400 gr speer jacketd moa at 100 yds all day long with that load. i wish i could find some 300 gr HP.
My load was 55 gr with Rem 300 gr hp ,shot well . A little bit of ump but still easy to shoot.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Whatever powder you decide on... load them from 1600-1700 fps. That speed provides a good combination of expansion and penetration. My experience on whitetails has been that they expand too quickly and do a lot of unnecessary meat damage if you load them faster than that.:hmmmm:

Happy hunting!!

Just my $.02. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Whatever powder you decide on... load them from 1600-1700 fps. That speed provides a good combination of expansion and penetration. My experience on whitetails has been that they expand too quickly and do a lot of unnecessary meat damage if you load them faster than that.:hmmmm:

Happy hunting!!

Just my $.02. :biggrin:
Let me second that. :tee:

Reactions: Bugsmasher
1 - 5 of 5 Posts