Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my Big Boy .357 I have pretty much settled on a case hardened Henry 45-70 for my next gun. Now I know its an antiquated cartridge, but depending on the rifle you shoot it out of you can load it hotter, or buy more heavily loaded ammo. More specifically the extremes of the spectrum seem to be the 1873 trapdoor Springfield on the weak end, and the Ruger No. 1 with its incredibly strong falling block action on the other.

If I understand correctly, it is safe to load to 40,000 PSI in a Marlin 336, and up to about 50,000 in the Rugers. My question is, since the action on the Henry centerfires is basically a 336 with no loading gate, can 45-70 be loaded to the same pressures in a Henry as in a Marlin, or shoot the higher power Buffalo Bore and Garrett stuff?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have a marlin a ruger and a Henry brass frame. When I first bought the marlin I loaded it with 300gr bummers loaded hot. The more and more I shot the 45/70 over time the more and more I was drawn to and prefer shooting traditional loads out of them. 405gr bullets at traditional velocities. The ruger and the Henry have never had anything other than 405cast traditional loads in them. For punching paper that is the way to go and if you are hunting there is not any game in North America that it will not take cleanly.

I believe that the Henry is the equal to the marlin in strength but I am not an authority on that subject.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas for the comments so far. I probably should clarify I am talking about the steel and not brass Henrys if that makes any difference in strength

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My question is, since the action on the Henry centerfires is basically a 336 with no loading gate, can 45-70 be loaded to the same pressures in a Henry as in a Marlin, or shoot the higher power Buffalo Bore and Garrett stuff?
I asked Anthony Imperado this exact question 2 years ago. His answer was that if its a safe load in the Marlin Guide Gun...its safe in the Henry Rifles...INCLUDING the brass model.

You can load up to the Lever Action loads for your Henry.

redhawk

Reactions: Ranger357v

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked Anthony Imperado this exact question 2 years ago. His answer was that if its a safe load in the Marlin Guide Gun...its safe in the Henry Rifles...INCLUDING the brass model.

You can load up to the Lever Action loads for your Henry.

redhawk
That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure. Supposedly the brass alloy receivers they use are stronger than the steel ones, or so I have read. Probably a reason they are slightly heavier. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I have a couple of Henry rifles but not the 45/70. I like to shoot my Marlin 45/70's with a 405 gr bullet at around 1550 fps. If I had a Henry that is probably what I would shoot out of it too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have the Henry CCH 45-70. I load the 300gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertip bullets (factory seconds thru Shooters Pro Shop) on top of 48.5gr IMR 4198. That load gives me about 2100 fps, but recoil is not bad at all. That is well below what Hodgdon lists as the upper end of their "lever" loads. Shot a doe last fall at about 180 yards. It passed thru completely and she never took a step.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts