Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a .45-70 Model 1881 rifle with a cracked stock. See attached pictures. Given the cracked stock, can you please give me a rough range in value for this gun?
Many thanks,
Cal P

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that the serial number is #355. I understand some early rifles had an undercut area on the front bottom edge of the reciever called a "rebated receiver", and this type would be of more value. Can you tell me if this one has the undercut?

Thanks,
Cal P

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I'm not sure about the value of your rifle given the condition its in but you may want to post it in the Marlin Owners 45-70 forum. The boys over there can probably help out.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The book I have is from 1998 so prices are probably a lot higher now.

Exellent very Good Good Fair
$2,250 $1,500 $750 $500

If you go to a gun show, you might find someone with a copy of the "Blue Book" who will let you look up the current prices. Dunno just how much that cracked stock will affect things but I'm guessing fairly substantial. You might try Gun Parts Corp. and see if they might have a suitable replacement.
I think it's www.gunpartscorp.com or someing similar. I don't have it handy to check and be sure.
Paul B.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Although i'm sure it would be worth more with good wood a broken wrist like yours is common on the old Marlins. Many still sell for good money with a stock repair. Wood can be replaced, but we can't see the rest of the gun. How long is the barrel? Was it ever cut? Bore condition, pitting, rust original sights? Screw heads stripped and broken off parts missing? Does it still cycle ammo? If everything is good on your rifle except for the stock I would say the blue book doesn't mean much for Marlins in the last few years. I would say $1500 and up!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, lever addict, for the response.

I attached a few more pictures of the barrel. The barrel is 28 inches and has not been cut. Bore condition is good. I don't see pitting. I attached some pictures of the sights (I am not an expert so don't know if they are original - can you tell me?). Screw heads are not stripped. No missing or broke off parts. I assume it is mechanically sound as far as cycling ammo - I need to confirm that though.

Do you still think $1500+?

Any additional comments or advice will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anyone tell me if these are original sights?

Can anyone else give me a rough range in value?

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Yes the sights look original. You have good blue left on the reciever and barrel. The edges of the octagon look sharp and not rounded. Add to that a good bore and you have a gun that will sell. The only thing I havent seen is around the bolt area on top and rear near the hammer. Usually see some peen marks here from Bubba trying to probably free a seized bolt! The rollstamps on the barrel also. Not worn and easy to read add to value. The original butt plate all in one piece and a nice crown are all taken into consideration. Any big or deep gouges in the metal? Well i'm no expert, but if you were to put that on Gun Broker I wouldn't be surprised if it went for $2000. If you get a couple of interested bidders maybe more. I have seen 1881's listed for upwards of 8-10,000 that don't look as nice as yours, but then no one's bidding on them either. I will say it could probably sell for $1500. Hell it's an 1881 the first Marlin lever gun and in the ever popular 45-70 caliber. Finding one with a good bore and good metal is half the battle! Your only problem is finding someone with the money that's looking for one! ;) If it were mine I would be shooting it! ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a few more pictures of the areas you mentioned - bolt, hammer, rollstamps, butt plate. If you could comment further on condition that would be great. I think this is a good old gun for the collection - just trying to learn as much as I can from the experts.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts