Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I here , i wanted to know if someone use a 500 gr hornady Rn " Interlock " bullet in .45-70 govt Marlin 1895 .
I find reloading data for , but someone told me the velocity will be too slow to let the bullet expend on hits .

after that i can imagine someone try the .480 gr hornady Dgx or Dgs ....... what about this bullet .

And i wanted to know if someone recover a Remington 405 gr bullet after shooting it on Game at 1800 to 2000 fps .
I ear this bullet can't go over 1600 fps , because they complet broke in pièces at high speed .

I wanted to use a high velocity bullet on moose trip this fall , i use before the 400 gr speer but never find a moose , and i don't know if the high velocity will make
the same result then the 405 Remington . Someone told me to use woodleight 45-70 govt 400 gr bullet 1700-2000 fps recommendation but here the cheaper place i can buy woodleight ..... cost me 90$ for 50 bullets .sooo .

Do Hard cast can be a good thing , for hunting different games . I wanted to hunt black bear , hog , moose, deer , maybe some grizzly ...

If you have some advise or recommandation .

thanks you
" yes i know slower bullet from .45-70 give better penetration ........ but i wanted all in one .... penetration + hitting power + good wood "

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) would be to contact the bullet manufacturers and ask them about the minimum velocity required for their bullets to reliably expand.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
venom, you are 'overcomplicating" things, all you need is a beartooth bullet 425gr WFNGC going at 1600fps and you will kill anything on the planet within 200yds if you do your part. If you want the 2000+fps I think you are using the wrong caliber....can it be done...sure, but there are less punishing ways for your shoulder to do it. But if you must, you definitely should see what the manufacturers load data is as Ray Newman is suggesting...of course this is all assuming I'm reading your message right. Is English your first language?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Venom, listen to Mazer... with a 45-70 you dont need the ultra expanding bullets because its already almost half an inch in diameter to begin with... Any bullet with a large meplat will expand when hitting an object so the Beartooth 4225gr Piledriver Jr's are a great choice! and you only need between 1400 to 1600 fps to take down a T-Rex.

Doc

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I also suggest a good hard lead bullet of at least 405grs.

Till I run out of them I'm using the Remington 405gr JSP.
I agree with the velocity suggestions too, you don't need 2000fps to be effective with either a good lead or Jacketed bullet.

Something else to be sure of is that your data for the Hornaday 500gr JSP is actually for the Marlin level .45-70 loads.
There is a lot of data out there for the level 3 (STRONG) rifles like the Siamese Mausers, Ruger #1, & #3. Just don't get this level of loads into your Marlin.

Good shooting.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
My advice... Don't use the Speer 400 gr. Lots of documentation of it being too fragile. The 400 gr. Rem is not fragile and should stick together. I would use a Hard Cast 400ish gr with a wide flat nose OR the 405 gr. Remington around 1800 FPS tops.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for comments and advice , for long time i use the rem 405 and the speer 400 , speer same to expend at greater velocity than 405 gr rem , but someone told me if i try to kill a moose at 100 or 150 yards with rem 405 gr at 1900 fps or 2000 fps the bullet will too expend and will not go far in and i will have to find the moose after because he will take run after hit by this bullet at this velocity , Remington tell me to use this bullet only for medium size games .

and for other question of Mazer , English is not my language at the start , i try my best to write good with too many error , i try Google translate but many told me to not do it , is best without ...... but i contact some bullet maker and have some answer . for 405 gr Remington told me to use it on medium game or at the least on small moose Under 500 lbs , speer tell me to use the 400 gr at no greater velocity than 1700 fps to not broken in pièces .... and i contact woodleight for they 400 gr bullet for .45-70 and same to be the best , the guy told me is 1700 fps to 2000 fps bullets , he tell me this bullet will make at this speed what other make at lower velocity , the lead core is harder than the other so have to take little more velocity to have a good mushroot , he sujest me to load some those for hunt , and use the other for plinking .

and hornady tell me for the 500 gr interlock , is best to have a long barrel . Many try it in marlin 1895gs 18.5" and not have enough velocity to expend but with CB version 26" the 500 gr expend at half of lenght of bullet .

I like recoil , before i have ruger #1 converted with 32 inch barrel and chamber in .45-100 sharps straight , i use the .458 win mag + 5% of powder ...... very fun and accurate at 800 yards .
I try the same rifle in .50-90 sharps 28" barrel , load light 600 grain at 2435 fps and 700 gr to 2226 fps and 800 gr Bmg bullet at 2118 fps ............... lot of kick , i shoot 5 time with and try after a 460 wby without muzzlebrake and is lighter on shoulder ........ the 50-90 sharps will be one of my favorite Caliber ...... i love the kick .

i'm 6'4 300 lbs , i pretty stiff on the recoil . but i know recoil will not say accurate . but i love the shake me a little with hard kicking recoil .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the .50-90 sharps with 800 gr bullet at 2100 fps produce about 165 lbs recoil energy , in rifle weight 13.5 lbs . after 5 shot have head pain . And if i wanted little more that thing can take 900 gr for 2000 fps is about same velocity of a 600 nitro express , and can't take 1000 grain if can find a bullet lolllll .

good ammo , but is soo expensive (too much money) , 50 alaskan can be a good thing , but i love the .45-70 govt , for Beartooth 425gr Piledriver Jr's .. is same to be a legendary bullet maker ... many tell me to take that type of bullet but i'm live in canada and here we have soo much difficulty to have cast bullet , we have to make it to have something cast , or take soft lead casting bullet for cowboy action shooting .

we have lote factory bullet with jacket bullet , but we are poor in lead one

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i find HSM ammo in cabelas canada , i shoot it in my bfr revolver and have lot of recoil , maybe that kind of bullet and load can be good for hunting large Moose ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
another thing i can expect to be better , my marlin can take ammo COL 2.70" , i wanted to try to find a way to take longuer but for now is what can i load in . and soon i will had a 26 " ballard 1:18" twist barrel on and full lenght magazine tube . .... i same time do someone know what tubing size i have to buy to make new magazine tube .

thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Who did the work on your Marlin so it will handle 2.70" loaded rounds ??
What are you using for a sighting system?
Scope?
Open sites?
Peep?

There is a poster ("MT Chambers") on the castboolit website that will custom cast just about anything you want for your 45-70..
He is a big 45-70 fan.
He is from Saskatchewan IIRC ..

In the mean time read "sharpsguy" posts in these two threads..

.45-70 using 457122 cast bullet for elk?

He has killed all manner of big game with the 45-70 at velocities under 1400 fps.

Marlin grizzly bullet

·
Registered
98 Posts
You are all so complicated, you just cast a nice lead bullet somwhere around 450 grains, put 60 grains of black powder in the brass and you are in business. If it doesn't kill your bear, the smoke will obscure his view, so he doesn't eat you.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
:congrats:
You are all so complicated, you just cast a nice lead bullet somwhere around 450 grains, put 60 grains of black powder in the brass and you are in business. If it doesn't kill your bear, the smoke will obscure his view, so he doesn't eat you.
You forgot the accuracy, I've seen black powder cartridge shillouete shooters run 8 out of 10 rams @ 500 meters.
great fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Frank V , you tell me to be sure is marlin load with 500 gr , it is Under 38 000 cup . I receive another mail from a Hornady guy tell me he use the 500 gr interlock in is marlin .45-70 and the bullet will expend at 1600 fps ,but not the dgx or dgs . He also telling me he hunt grizzly bear with in Yukon and make a very good job at 1600 fps . So for the price of this bullet i will try a couple of it .

For now is just loaded 50 rds of .45-70 gov , with 405 rem and 50 gr varget - velocity is approx 1430 fps in 18.5" barrel . and i will load 50 more with a 1600 fps probably with 4198 or imr 4198 . We have hard time here finding powder .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To answer Nrut , i make my own work on rifle , i have some gunsmith experience and is a easy work to make , Not a dangerous thing .
work is only to take carrier and fill little material where the cartridge is stopped , and the other think is to cut the ejector at the little hook and round it a bit with fill . for sighting i have Skinner peep sight on barrel and william fire sight in front .

i will have a scope soon on with QR leupold rings , i send mail to MT Chambers few day ago , i not receive any answer from him for now .
I wanted to change 18.5" barrel for a 26" in , 1:20" twist .... the guy make it is cheap and very high quality , better than my last Shilen or Ballard .
i will install aluminum mag follower, magazine extention , bear proof ejectors , and happy trigger + lighter spring kit . .... just to have a racing Rifle
I also polish the inner action for smooth feel .

i same time if someone have good idea for scope , i wanted something with DOA or other like that

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah I hear you attrapereves...brass is not EZ to find for 45-70. I have occasionally run across WW brass in Eastern WA for $ 41/50. Usually buy whatever they have. Shoot'in dingers at 1200 fps, my brass is going past 16 loads & look'in good. Seldom have to trim! Good luck my friend. Prices on mail order stuff better be really low to catch my attention as I have learned that "good deals" aren't so good after shipping added on...esp hvy things like bollits!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I found Starline brass on Amazon, 100 for 70+S/H, and weeks later at our Gun Show here in SDiego, 50 for $35, bought everything I could find...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts